Dad charged with toddler's murder to go on Hawaiian vacation
Share this @internewscast.com

Inset: Christopher Scholtes (Pima County Jail). Background: The scene outside the residence where Scholtes’ daughter passed away following her being left in a hot car (KOLD screenshot).

A 38-year-old Arizona father accused in the hot-car death of his daughter has received court approval to take a vacation to Hawaii with his wife and two remaining children. Judge Kimberly Ortiz granted this approval for Christopher Scholtes, who faces charges of first-degree murder and child abuse related to the July 2024 death of 2-year-old Parker Scholtes.

Investigators claim that Scholtes left Parker sleeping in their 2023 Acura MDX, parked in front of their house, for several hours after being “distracted” by video games and household chores. It is further alleged that Scholtes had a habit of leaving the children in the car unattended.

According to a report from Tucson CBS affiliate KOLD, Ortiz’s order said the following:

“Defendant, CHRISTOPHER SCHOLTES, through counsel, hereby respectfully requests the court’s permission to travel to Maui, Hawaii from May 1, 2025, through May 9, 2025. Defendant, his wife and their two daughters will be traveling to Hawaii for a family vacation.”

The order concluded with Ortiz writing, “The travel requested is approved.”

While permitting him to travel, Ortiz’s order reportedly stipulates that Scholtes continue to stay in contact with pretrial services and have no unsupervised contact with any children

The judge’s decision did not go over well with Pima County Attorney Laura Conover, who provided a statement on the matter to Tucson NBC affiliate KVOA.

“The public record would show that the defendant and his counsel requested permission from the court to travel out-of-state,” she reportedly told the station. “Our prosecutors strenuously objected. The court granted permission over our objection.”

Love true crime? Sign up for our newsletter, The Law&Crime Docket, to get the latest real-life crime stories delivered right to your inbox.

As previously reported by Law&Crime, following the incident with Parker, authorities spoke to Scholtes’ two other daughters, then-ages 5 and 9, both of whom allegedly confirmed that he would regularly leave them alone in the car. In this case, they told police that Scholtes came home from running errands and then “he got distracted by playing his (video) game and putting his food away,” per KOLD.

Text messages between Scholtes and his wife, who is an anesthesiologist, also appear to show that Scholtes had a habit of leaving his children in the car unattended.

“I told you to stop leaving them in the car, how many times have I told you,” she texted him as Parker was on her way to the hospital, Tuscson NBC affiliate KVOA reported.

“Babe I’m sorry,” Scholtes reportedly responded

His wife continued, writing, “We have lost her she was perfect.”

Scholtes then responded, “Babe. our family. How could I do this. I killed our baby, this can’t be real.”

In an interview with police, Scholtes allegedly claimed that he arrived home with Parker at about 2 p.m., and didn’t take Parker out of the car because he “wanted her to remain in the vehicle while she slept.” However, footage from a security camera revealed that he arrived home at 12:53 p.m. and did not leave again. It wasn’t until his wife came home a little after 4 p.m. and asked where Parker was that he reportedly ran outside to check on her.

“Video surveillance obtained does not show Christopher [Scholtes] checking on his vehicle or daughter,” police wrote in an affidavit, according to USA Today. “When she asked where the 2-year-old was, he began to check the rooms of the home and then realized he had left her in the vehicle.”

KOLD further reported that while Scholtes told authorities he left the Acura SUV running with the air conditioner on, he also knew the vehicle had a safety feature that would turn the car off after 30 minutes.

The temperature outside was reportedly 109 degrees when the couple called 911. Parker’s mother performed CPR until emergency medical personnel arrived, but they were unable to resuscitate the toddler.

In addition to seizing the car in which Parker was left, police reportedly also seized the PlayStation gaming console that allegedly distracted Scholtes from checking on his daughter

Despite reportedly knowing that Scholtes regularly left their children in the car unattended, his wife appeared in court shortly after Parker’s death and asked the judge to allow him to come home to help with the healing process.

“This was a big mistake and I think that this doesn’t represent him,” she said, according to video obtained by KVOA. “And I just want that the girls to see their father so that I don’t have to tell them tonight that they’re going to endure another loss.”

Scholtes, who last month reportedly turned down a deal that would have required him to plead guilty to one count of second-degree murder and face up to 25 years in prison, is currently scheduled to go to trial on Oct. 27, 2025.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Florida Man Unleashes Wild Encounter: Deputies Doused with Bear Repellent in Unbelievable Standoff

Inset: Kyle Young (Indian River County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The highway where…

Intoxicated Husband Claims Wife Leapt from Moving Truck Prior to Fatal Accident

A Minnesota resident alleges that his wife leapt from his moving vehicle…

Shocking Courtroom Drama: Man’s Unbelievable List of Demands Leaves Everyone Speechless

Inset: Zachary Heckathorn (Martins Ferry Police Department). Background: The church where Heckathorn…

Tragic Loss: 8-Year-Old Jaylin Dies in Extreme Heat Incident Involving Parents

On a seemingly serene late summer morning in Odessa, Texas, young Jaylin…

Father Allegedly Threatens Son with Harm After Refusing to Provide Food: Deputies Report

Background: Beason Rd. in Orangeburg, S.C. (Google Maps). Inset: Thomas Baker (Orangeburg…

New York Court Delivers Verdict in Tragic Case of Father Accused of Killing Daughter

Left: Kabary Salem (Lebanon County Jail). Right: Ola Salem (GoFundMe). A Pennsylvania…

Teen Acquitted in High-Profile Easter Show Stabbing: A Closer Look at the Verdict

The tragic incident involving the fatal stabbing of a ride attendant at…

Chilling Phone Call Emerges After Scientist’s Tragic Fall

On a grim November night in 1953, Frank Olson, a scientist involved…

Authorities Report Children Residing in Unsanitary Conditions Amidst Pest and Safety Concerns

Background: The home where children were allegedly found living in squalid conditions…

Tragic End: ‘Lobster Boy’ Circus Performer Fatally Shot by Hired Teenager

On November 29, 1992, the world of circus entertainment was rocked by…

Florida Resident Charged in Girlfriend’s Murder, Initially Claimed ICE Abduction to Friend

In a chilling turn of events, a Florida man who initially reported…

Father Calls 911 Requesting Removal of 11-Year-Old Son After Food Request Leads to Confrontation

A father from South Carolina has landed in jail following accusations that…