Man accused of using 3-year-old son's death to defraud friends out of $1.3 million
Share this @internewscast.com

A Sydney man has been accused of using his three-year-old son’s accidental death to defraud several people out of at least $1 million.

Addressing the media this afternoon, NSW Police explained that in 2003 the man’s son died in an accident at Burwood shopping centre before he began a lawsuit against the centre.

Police allege the man then reached out to people he knew and asked for funds to help cover the lawsuit.

Man arrested over a $1.3 million 8-year alleged fraud
Man arrested over a $1.3 million 8-year alleged fraud (NSW Police)

In 2007, the suit was settled, and the now 68-year-old man was granted a $400k payout.

However, police allege the people who gave the man money for legal fees never got any money back.

Detectives further allege the cash was obtained under “false pretenses”.

“Instead of refunding the victims, he kept the money and didn’t give them anything back, instead, he asked for more,” Detective Chief Superintendent Christine McDonald said.

Police allege that in 2016 he told the victims he needed more money to continue with the suit, and said that although it had been settled, the money was stuck in a trust fund for his other son.

Sydney, Australia - October 2, 2014: Pedestrians and traffic waiting around an intersection beside Westfield Burwood. Westfield is a large chain of shopping malls, with over a hundred locations worldwide.
In 2003, the man’s son died in an accident at Burwood shopping centre, and he began a lawsuit against the centre. (Getty)

Police allege he then continued to defraud them. 

“This is such an act of betrayal; these victims believe they were helping a grieving father, someone they knew, someone they trusted… He broke that trust,” McDonald said.

“The victims truly believed that they were helping to person of interest with a lawsuit… from what we know, he has gambled a lot of the money.”

Police allege he amassed $1.3 million over eight years, with police asking the public to come forward with information as there may be more people who suffered losses.

The 68-year-old was arrested during a search warrant at a unit on East Street in Five Dock today.

He was taken to Burwood police station, where he was charged with three counts of dishonestly obtaining a financial advantage by deception.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Teen Tragically Killed in Altercation Over Seating at Track Meet, Authorities Report

Background: News coverage of the crime scene at Kuykendall Stadium in Frisco,…

Judge considers holding Trump administration in contempt for defying court ruling

Left: Donald Trump speaks at the annual Road to Majority conference in…

Maui Woman Obtains Restraining Order Following Alleged Attacks by Doctor Husband with Rock, Cliff Incident

A physician’s wife in Hawaii is fighting back after her husband allegedly…

Suspect with pharmacy vendetta kills Walgreens employee: Police

Insets: Narciso Fernandez and victim Erick Velazquez (KFSN/YouTube). Background: Security footage reportedly…

Woman Sentenced to 25 Years for Killing Teenager in September 2021

DENVER — A woman convicted of killing a 16-year-old at an east…

Tony Mokbel Awaits Verdict on Release Today

After spending 18 years in custody, drug kingpin Tony Mokbel may be…

Teen Charged with Murder Raps About Shooting in YouTube Video, Say Police

Left inset: Homicide suspect Cameron Kizer Jr. (Allen County Sheriff’s Department). Right…

Local Dad Celebrated as Hero for Successfully Completing Citizen’s Arrest

An Adelaide father has been hailed a hero after performing a citizen’s…

Authorities Report Gravedigger Disrespects Infant Remains by Disposing Them Over Hill

Featured: Matthew Fortner (West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation). Background: The…

Mother Leaves Newborn in Trash Bag on Porch Before Heading to Hospital

A Georgia woman was criminally charged for allegedly leaving her newborn baby…

Coach from Team Summit Colorado’s Youth Ski and Snowboard Program Faces Accusations of Sexual Assault on a 9-Year-Old

A coach with Team Summit Colorado, a youth ski and snowboard program,…

Father Attends Job Interview, Leaving 3 Children at McDonald’s: Police Report

Inset: Chris Louis (Augusta Police Dept.). Background: The McDonald’s where Louis allegedly…