Share this @internewscast.com

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The U.S. Navy said Thursday that it’s charged a sailor with starting a fire last year that destroyed a warship docked off San Diego.

The USS Bonhomme Richard burned for more than four days and was the Navy’s worst U.S. warship fire outside of combat in recent memory. The amphibious assault ship was left with extensive structural, electrical and mechanical damage and was later scrapped, costing the Navy billions of dollars.

The sailor was a member of the crew at the time, Cmdr. Sean Robertson, a U.S. 3rd Fleet spokesperson, said in a statement. No name was released, and Robertson could not be immediately reached for comment.

No other details were provided, and it was unclear what evidence was found or what the motive was.

The amphibious assault ships are among the few in the U.S. fleet that can act as a mini aircraft carrier.

The Bonhomme Richard had been nearing the end of a two-year upgrade estimated to cost $250 million when the fire broke out on July 12, 2020.

About 160 sailors and officers were on board when the flames sent up a huge plume of dark smoke from the 840-foot (256-meter) vessel, which had been docked at Naval Base San Diego while undergoing the upgrade.

The fire started in the ship’s lower storage area, where cardboard boxes, rags and other maintenance supplies were stored. But winds coming off the San Diego Bay whipped up the flames and the flames spread up the elevator shafts and exhaust stacks.

Then two explosions — one heard as far as 13 miles (21 kilometers) away — caused it to grow even bigger.

The fire sent acrid smoke billowing over San Diego, and officials had recommended people avoid exercising outdoors.

Firefighters attacked the flames inside the ship, while firefighting vessels with water cannons directed streams of seawater into the ship and helicopters made water drops.

More than 60 sailors and civilians were treated for minor injuries, heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation.

Source: huffpost

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Kentucky Man Arrested for Allegedly Injuring Girlfriend’s Child During Diaper Change

A Kentucky resident has been detained on charges of child abuse following…

Urgent: Search Underway for Missing 55-Year-Old American Woman on Caribbean Cruise

Authorities are appealing to the public for help in finding a woman…

Mystery Deepens: Unanswered Questions Surround Discovery of Body in Hospital Water Tank

Oklahoma authorities remain engaged in an ongoing investigation following the unsettling discovery…

Couple Faces Charges for Alleged Abuse and Starvation of Teen

Left to right: Stephanie Linke and Michael Gruchacz (Laramie County Sheriff”s Office).…

Detectives Seek Final Confession from Infamous Killer on Deathbed in High-Stakes Investigation

Detectives from South Australia’s major crime unit recently made a visit to…

Tragic Loss: 8-Year-Old Jaylin Dies in Extreme Heat Incident Involving Parents

On a seemingly serene late summer morning in Odessa, Texas, young Jaylin…

Authorities Report Children Residing in Unsanitary Conditions Amidst Pest and Safety Concerns

Background: The home where children were allegedly found living in squalid conditions…

New York Court Delivers Verdict in Tragic Case of Father Accused of Killing Daughter

Left: Kabary Salem (Lebanon County Jail). Right: Ola Salem (GoFundMe). A Pennsylvania…

Suspect Apprehended for Carjacking, Assault, and Police Scanner Evasion

In the early hours today, Rakeem Lizel Calhoun, aged 37, found himself…

Tragic Incident: How a 5-Year-Old Accessed a Firearm and What Parents Need to Know About Gun Safety

Inset: Trae Colvin (Douglas County Corrections/WOWT). Background: The intersection of 14th St.…

Shocking Twist: Mom Confesses to Fabricating Report Against Father in Infant Case

Inset: Lyrica Maisha Noble (Craighead County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The suburban area…

Teen Acquitted in High-Profile Easter Show Stabbing: A Closer Look at the Verdict

The tragic incident involving the fatal stabbing of a ride attendant at…