Alleged Buffalo, N.Y. grocery store mass murderer Payton Gendron appears at a Sat., May 14, 2022 arraignment. (Image via Facebook video screengrab/Erie News Now.)


Alleged Buffalo, N.Y. grocery store mass murderer Payton Gendron appears at a Sat., May 14, 2022 arraignment. (Image via Facebook video screengrab/Erie News Now.)

Alleged Buffalo, N.Y. grocery store mass murderer Payton Gendron appears at a Sat., May 14, 2022 arraignment. (Image via Facebook video screengrab/Erie News Now.)

The alleged white supremacist accused of opening fire and killing ten people in a Buffalo, New York grocery store appeared before a judge for the first time on Saturday — just hours after the massacre took place.

Payton Gendron, 18, of Conklin, N.Y., is believed to have traveled three-and-a-half hours from his home near Binghamton to the Tops Friendly Market where authorities say he shot 13 people.  Tops is a regional grocery store chain.

“Mr. Gendron, you’ve been charged with multiple counts of murder in the first degree,” Buffalo City Court Chief Judge Craig Hannah informed the defendant.

“There should be a copy of the charges in front of you,” the judge continued.  “Do you understand that sir?”

“Yes, sir,” Gendron said.

Gendron appeared in court wearing a white paper-style jail smock. The prosecutor appeared to be wearing blue jeans.

Payton Gendron Pleads Not Guilty in Grocery Store Massacre

(Image via Facebook video screengrab/Erie News Now.)

“Do you want me to read these charges to you, or do you understand these charges?” the judge asked.

“I understand my charges,” the defendant said.

When asked if he could afford an attorney, Gendron said “no.”

An attorney who appeared along with the defendant said he would accept an appointment as defense counsel.  That defense attorney, Brian Parker, entered a not guilty plea on behalf of his client and waived a formal reading of court papers.

A prosecutor said he was prepared to swiftly present the case to a grand jury.

Gendron is due back in court on Thurs., May 19, at 9:30.

Cameras are generally not allowed in New York State courts under a myriad of rules and privacy statutes, but arraignments (such as the one held Saturday) and sentencing hearings are exceptions to that general rule.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul (D) called the incident a “white supremacist shooting” and said the suspect was a “white supremacist.” She also called the shooting an “act of terrorism.”

Authorities said that Gendron livestreamed the massacre on the internet.  Images of the gun used in the attack — images which appear to be authentic and which were apparently taken from that livestream — indicated that a racial epithet was scrawled on the barrel of the weapon.

Gendron is also said to have posted a 180-page manifesto online that is allegedly filled with white supremacist and antisemitic sentiments.  The missive also contains references to — and sometimes borrows from — screeds penned by previous shooters, according to the Anti-Defamation League.

The document expressed an urge to “spread awareness to my fellow whites about the real problems the West is facing” and to “encourage further attacks that will eventually start the way that will save the Western world,” the ADL said.

Law&Crime has not independently reviewed the document.

As Law&Crime previously reported after a late afternoon press conference, Gendron is said by the authorities to have been heavily armored during the attack.  A store security guard returned fire but could not pierce Gendron’s armor; Gendron shot and killed the security guard during the massacre.  Buffalo ABC affiliate WIVB identified that security guard as Aaron Salter, a retired Buffalo police officer.

Video of the appearance is below via local outlet Erie News Now.  Buffalo is in Erie County, N.Y.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

(function(d, s, id) {
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id;
js.src = ”
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));

You May Also Like

Parents Accused of Starving Toddler Found With 80-Degree Body Temperature and Severe Bedsores

Inset, left to right: Stephanie Woods and Cody Mercer (Hamilton County Sheriff’s…

Man Tore Door Off Hinges to Fight Ex’s Boyfriend: Police

Inset: Steven Shannon (Allen County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Allen County Jail…

Men Accused of Stabbing Roommate 19 Times After Drinking-Fueled Fight Over Chores and Thermostat

Background: Water Street in Menasha, Wisconsin (Google Maps). Inset, left to right:…

Orange Park Handyman Arrested, Accused of Watching Woman Through Backyard Windows Near UF Campus

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 49-year-old Orange Park man was arrested…

Repeat Felon Gets Two-Year Prison Sentence for Firearm Offense

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Robert Anthony Yancy, Jr., 25, will spend…

White House Lawyer Opposes ABA Bid to Identify Advisers Behind Trump Law Firm Executive Orders

President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting on Friday, July 31,…

Son Asked Dad to Talk, Then Stabbed Him in Neck: Police

Inset: Joseph Niemiec (Hall County Jail). Background: The 4200 block of 21st…

Fani Willis Blasts Judge’s Errors in Trump RICO Fee Fight

Inset left: Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies at a hearing…