Man tried to put 'chemical-laced' rag on teen's mouth: Cops
Share this @internewscast.com

Inset: Willie Cowart (BPD). Background: The area in Boston where Cowart allegedly assaulted a 13-year-old boy (WBZ).

A 69-year-old man in Massachusetts faces accusations of using a “chemical-laced handkerchief” on a 13-year-old boy who was waiting on the street to be picked up.

Willie Cowart was taken into custody last week and charged with one count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, authorities announced.

Based on a news release from the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, officers from the Boston Police Department and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Police responded around 12:21 p.m. on July 28 to reports of an assault and battery occurring at the intersection of Dudley and Washington Streets in Roxbury.

First responders reported that upon arriving, they communicated with the victim, who described waiting for his brother when an older man in a Hawaiian shirt approached, poured an unidentified liquid on a red handkerchief, and attempted to place it over his mouth.

The victim stated that he escaped from the individual—later identified as Cowart—and ran towards the Nubian Square bus station, where he was able to alert the police.

Shortly afterward, police arrived at Dudley and Washington, spotting Cowart, who was recognized by his Hawaiian shirt and his possession of the red handkerchief.

“Cowart, who was sweating profusely, denied knowing the victim or having any interaction with him,” the release states.

However, when officers conducted a search of his vehicle, they said they recovered “several chemical cleaning agents from inside the car.”

The victim, after receiving on-site care from Boston Emergency Medical Services, confirmed Cowart as the alleged attacker, leading to his arrest without any incident.

The victim spoke with local CBS affiliate WBZ and provided additional details about what allegedly happened.

“It’s basically like facing your biggest fear, like the way the guy was looking, too,” the boy, who did not want to appear on camera, told the station. “So yeah, my heart was beating fast and stuff. Yeah, I was really scared.”

He continued, saying, “I was kind of scared because it was like my first time this ever happened to me, and I’ve been seeing this on like the TV so many times about people getting kidnapped and stuff, so yeah, I was kind of scared.”

According to the victim, the incident terrified his parents, who no longer want him on the street alone.

“I can’t go outside, my mom told me, until I’m 20,” he said. “[I can’t] go outside by myself when school is finished, I can’t stay after school.”

Cowart was processed and released on personal recognizance. A judge reportedly ordered him to stay away from the victim and the area where the alleged assault took place. He is due to appear in court again on Oct. 29.

“This is a strange, and extremely disturbing, set of facts,” Suffolk District Attorney Kevin Hayden said in a statement. “It doesn’t take much imagination to appreciate how frightening it was for this young man to be standing on a street corner and suddenly be accosted in such a bizarre manner. I’m grateful that he suffered no apparent injuries.”

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Adelaide Stabbing Leaves Man in Critical Condition: Police Investigate

A 32-year-old man is in critical condition following an alleged stabbing incident…

Shocking Ohio Case: Man Posing as Teen Targets Vulnerable Kids in Online Exploitation

A Middletown man, aged 53, is facing a lengthy prison sentence after…

Florida Man Unleashes Wild Encounter: Deputies Doused with Bear Repellent in Unbelievable Standoff

Inset: Kyle Young (Indian River County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The highway where…

Authorities Report 15-Year-Old Suspect in Shooting of Bicyclist with Taurus 9mm

Inset: Tommy Lagree (Orange County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The 4900 block of…

Family Ties Under Scrutiny: Fiancé and Sister Charged in Case of Missing Pregnant Woman

Inset left to right: Richard Falor, Kimberly Park and Rebecca Park (Wexford…

Unveiling Secrets: Exclusive Interview with Maureen ‘Cookie’ Rowan’s Daughter on the Little Miss Panasoffkee Cold Case

Press release from TheColdCases.com GAINESVILLE, Fla. – In a poignant revelation, TheColdCases.com…

Urgent Search for Missing Alabama Brothers, Ages 6 and 7: Police Request Public Assistance

The Autauga County Sheriff’s Office is reaching out to the community for…

Shocking Family Violence: 70-Year-Old Man Arrested for Assaulting 95-Year-Old Mother

Inset: John Earl Black (Lee County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The 9000 block…

Court Delivers Verdict for Man Convicted of Stabbing 11-Year-Old at Sleepover

Inset: Ricardo Perez Castillo appears in a booking photo (Kent County Sheriff”s…

Police Report: Woman Stabbed Following Cigarette Request

Inset: Pamela Puskar (McCabe Funeral Home). Background: Glenn Whittier being escorted to…

Mother and Partner Face Charges in Infant’s Tragic Death

Inset left top to bottom: Elizabeth LynnLanor Hogan and Devin Austin Brown-Fowler…

Probation Violation: Man Arrested with 125 Grams of Marijuana Sparks Legal Controversy

Staff Report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – In the early hours today, authorities apprehended…