Man, property cleared after police operation in search of Dezi Freeman

A man stopped by police searching for fugitive Dezi Freeman in Victoria yesterday has been cleared of any involvement in the shooting ambush that killed two police officers in Porepunkah on August 26.

A significant police operation took place in the Victorian towns of Benalla and Goomalibee, about 100km from Porepunkah, yesterday.

Police have now confirmed a property was searched in Goomalibee and a man was “intercepted” in Undera.

Police Operation Concludes with Man and Property Cleared in Search for Dezi Freeman
Police continue to search for fugitive Dezi Freeman. (Eddie Jim)

The property has since been cleared and police confirmed the man had no involvement with the shooting nor any link to the investigation.

“The property that was searched in Goomalibee has been cleared and a man, who was intercepted in Undera, has also been confirmed as not involved,” police said in a statement this morning.

“He has been cleared of any link to our current investigation.

“The enquiries yesterday formed part of our ongoing investigation and continued work by detectives to work through all avenues of enquiry.”

Freeman has not been seen since August 26, when police carrying out a search warrant on his property were met with a hail of gunfire.

Two officers, Neal Thompson and Vadim de Waart-Hottart, were killed, and a third was injured.

Police Operation Concludes with Man and Property Cleared in Search for Dezi Freeman
Accused killer Dezi Freeman. (9News)

Freeman, who has links to the disparate “sovereign citizen” movement, is suspected to have carried out the shooting and fled with the weapons he used.

Victoria Police recently scaled down the search operation, with more than 200 officers remaining in the area – down from nearly 500 in the wake of the shooting.

“We will continue to rotate police officers through there, a) conducting searches, b) continuing the investigation and c) providing reassurance to the community who needs it,” Chief Commissioner Mike Bush said on Monday.

Police Operation Concludes with Man and Property Cleared in Search for Dezi Freeman
Freeman has not been seen since late August. (Eddie Jim)

It’s been previously speculated Freeman may have been receiving support and assistance from somebody in the area, and police have also characterised him as a skilled outdoorsman.

A $1 million reward has been offered for information leading to Freeman’s arrest.

You May Also Like

Trump DOJ Cites James Comey Novel as It Argues Jury Should Decide If Seashells Were Coded Threat to Kill President

Main: Former FBI Director James Comey speaks at Harvard University’s Institute of…

Teen Allegedly Paid by Friend to Kill Friend’s Parents for Inheritance Must Face Jury

Insets, from left: Julio Zamora and Darren Munoz (Curry County Sheriff’s Office).…

Driver, 82, Avoids Jail After Hitting 7-Year-Old on E-Scooter

Inset: Karina Pubchara-Martinez (WTVJ). Background: The Miami intersection of SW 32nd Street…

Trader Joe’s Manager Killed by Police During Gunman’s Standoff After Grandmother and Teen Girlfriend Shot

Inset: Melyda “Mely” Corado (Facebook). Background: KTLA news footage shows Gene Atkins…

Former Employee Arrested for Alleged Restaurant Theft Case

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Richard David Hunnicutt Jr., 53, was arrested…

Suit: Man Followed Woman in Dollar Tree, Attacked With Fluids

Dollar Tree stores nationwide have been cited in lawsuits as alleged targets…

Gainesville Felon Gets 46 Months for Federal Gun, Drug Crimes

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – DaMorie Lamontay Miles, 20, will serve 46…

Meijer Hostage Standoff: Dead Man’s Switch, Hypnotists Demanded

Inset: Anthony Lehman (Waukesha County Jail). Background: A Meijer store in Waukesha,…