Police scale back manhunt for accused cop killer Dezi Freeman

The number of police on the ground in Porepunkah looking for alleged cop killer Dezi Freeman has been scaled back significantly since the shooting over a month ago.

There has been no official sighting of Freeman after he allegedly killed officers Neal Thompson, 59, and Vadim De Waart-Hottart, 34, at a semi-rural property in Victoria’s High Country on August 26.

Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush today said the number of officers still in Porepunkah remained at over 200, marking less than half the amount of authorities that were combing the area for Freeman weeks ago.

Dezi Freeman
Dezi Freeman has not been seen since August 26. (9News)

Bush provided an update on the man hunt during a memorial for fallen officers in Melbourne today, where he said police officers around the country are still “hurting”.

“At the height we had nearly 500 officers up there conducting the search, investigating and providing reassurance to the community,” Bush said.

“At the moment, we have in excess of 200 officers there.

“We will continue to rotate police officers through there, a) conducting searches, b) continuing the investigation and c) providing reassurance to the community who needs it.”

Police during manhunt for accused gunman Dezi Freeman
Police searching a small cave during manhunt for accused gunman Freeman. (9News)

Bush said police have so far searched 40-square-kilometre area by foot and air to find Freeman.

The month-long search has involved mineshafts, caves, huts and properties in Porepunkah and surrounding regions.

“It’s extremely challenging. We have to often revisit things we’ve already searched to make sure we haven’t missed anything,” Bush added.

“And we will not give up until we find that person.”

Porepunkah where Dezi Freeman lives cover in morning fog. 9 September 2025. Photo: Eddie Jim.
Porepunkah seen covered in morning fog on September 9. (Eddie Jim)
Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Mike Bush
Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police Mike Bush. (9News)

He said other state police forces, as well as New Zealand, have offered support in the continued search for Freeman.

Bush said crews on the ground will continue to utilise their resources.

After offering a reward of $1 million for any information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible, there has been an uptick in tips from the public.

About 1400 pieces of information have been given by members of the public.

“None of them have lead to any positive leads, but we explore them,” Bush said.

Police are still pursuing a number of theories regarding Freeman’s whereabouts.

Bush told reporters police still can’t rule out anything.

“We will pursue all of those likelihoods,” he said.

You May Also Like

Repeat Felon Gets Two-Year Prison Sentence for Firearm Offense

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Robert Anthony Yancy, Jr., 25, will spend…

White House Lawyer Opposes ABA Bid to Identify Advisers Behind Trump Law Firm Executive Orders

President Donald Trump listens during a Cabinet meeting on Friday, July 31,…

Fani Willis Blasts Judge’s Errors in Trump RICO Fee Fight

Inset left: Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis testifies at a hearing…

Trump DOJ Cites James Comey Novel as It Argues Jury Should Decide If Seashells Were Coded Threat to Kill President

Main: Former FBI Director James Comey speaks at Harvard University’s Institute of…

Man Tore Door Off Hinges to Fight Ex’s Boyfriend: Police

Inset: Steven Shannon (Allen County Sheriff’s Office). Background: The Allen County Jail…

5-Year-Old Doing Homework Finds Dad’s Gun, Shoots Himself: Police

Background: The Memphis, Tennessee, home where authorities say the fatal shooting occurred…

Son Asked Dad to Talk, Then Stabbed Him in Neck: Police

Inset: Joseph Niemiec (Hall County Jail). Background: The 4200 block of 21st…

Armed Gainesville Man Arrested in Domestic Injunction Violation

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – A 42-year-old Gainesville man, Reginald Tremaine Thomas,…