'Genuine mystery:' $50k reward on offer over man found dead 30 years ago

A new image has been released of a man who has only been known as a number for three decades since his battered body was dumped in Melbourne.

Police are offering a reward of up to $50,000 to anybody who can help solve the 30-year mystery.

Officers hope the new picture will help finally identify the man, who had been stabbed and beaten and dumped.

Police are offering a reward of up to $50,000 to anybody who can help sold a three decade mystery, as a new image was released in relation to the case.
The new image, on the right, has been released of the man found dead in Melbourne. (Supplied)

His body was found in long grass a dirt road in Roxburgh Park in the city’s north in 1995.

Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said the man has only been known by a number: 1238/95.

“We don’t know his name, where he was from, who is family was, how he lived his life,” Thomas said.

“We also don’t know how he came to be lying on that dirt road in Roxburgh Park and the circumstances that led up to his death.

“I do believe there could still be people out there who know who this man is and we’re hopeful that someone will see these images and be in a position to come forward and speak to police.

“It has been a genuine mystery and one that we are exceptionally keen to solve.”

The man was found by two people driving near North Point Business Park, near the Cliffords Road side, at 10am on May 1, 1995.

He was aged 25 to 35, Caucasion, 179cm tall, with a solid build, medium length brown hair which was slightly receding.

He has brown eyes, a medium complexion and a scar under his right arm.

He was wearing a navy blue jumper, grey Nike t-shirt and shorts, but no shoes.

The only clue police have came from a previous appeal.

Somebody said they had seen a man fitting that description outside a home on Sorbonne Drive in Sunbury – 17km away – about 6.40pm the night before.

They told police a man with severe facial injuries and a bleeding head wound had knocked on the door.

Whoever answered, closed the door and called emergency services.

But when they went back, he’d gone.

No fingerprints or dental records fit the man, either in Australia or overseas.

You May Also Like

Gainesville Man Arrested in Window Entry Cash Theft Case

Staff report GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Moses Emanuel Bryant II, 39, was taken…

Woman Shot Ex 17 Times Over His Spiritual Demons, Police Say

Inset: Rebecca Jane Mryglod (Cleburne County Sheriff’s Office). Background: Cleburne County Sheriff’s…

Woman Avoids Jail After Walmart Parking Lot Attack and Slipping Handcuffs During Arrest

Inset: Allie Barrentine (Bay County Jail). Background: A Walmart Supercenter in Panama…

Woman Accused of Orchestrating Attack on Sleeping Man, Then Taunting Him After Collapsed Lung Injury

Inset: Robin N. Jackson (Delaware County Jail). Background: The Indiana neighborhood where…

Ex-Overstock CEO Defies Judge on LindellTV, Lawyers Notice

Patrick Byrne appears on Emerald Robinson’s LindellTV show in July 2026 (court…

Authorities Say Couple Left 3 Kids in Filthy Black Mold-Filled Home, Admitted It Was Bad and Refused Police Entry

Inset, left to right: Timothy MacDonald and Lana MacDonald (Pike County Detention…

Driver Hits Child After Ignoring School Bus Stop Arm, Police Say

Inset: Ashley Parsons (Scott County Detention Center). Background: The black SUV authorities…