New Orleans Jailbreak Update: 7 Charged, 5 Inmates Caught, 5 Still on the Run
Share this @internewscast.com

Seven people have been arrested, and five inmates remain at large after a Louisiana jailbreak last week.

CNN has reported that Emmitt Weber, 28, has been recently detained in connection with the escape of 10 inmates from a New Orleans jail. According to a news release issued on Friday, Weber is now facing charges as an accessory after the fact to simple escape.

Also charged on Friday was Trevon Williams. Williams, who was already incarcerated on different charges, now faces an extra charge of principal to simple escape.

The day before, Casey Smith was taken into custody for allegedly assisting two of the fugitives. New Orleans police stated, “Smith confessed to her involvement in aiding the fugitives’ transportation along with Cortnie Harris.”

Harris, along with Corvanntay Baptiste, was arrested Wednesday. Baptiste allegedly communicated with one of the escapees through phone and social media. He also helped the inmate, Corey Boyd, get food.

Residents watch as police pursue a fugitive that escaped from a New Orleans jail, Tuesday, May 20, 2025, in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Connie Weeden, 59, was arrested after investigators found she not only sent money to an escapee but also communicated with him while he was still incarcerated. She faces one felony count of accessory after the fact.

The first arrest in the case was Sterling Williams, a maintenance staff member at the jail. He is suspected of facilitating the escape by turning off the water to a cell where inmates had dismantled plumbing to flee. Williams faces 10 counts of principal to simple escape and one count of malfeasance in office.

Williams’s attorney told The New York Post that his client was simply doing his job. “This was clearly all part of an orchestrated plan,” Michael Kennedy said. Williams “was nothing more than the tool they used to turn off the water, which they knew would have to happen after clogging the toilet.”

Since the jailbreak, five escapees have been captured. As CrimeOnline previously reported, Robert Moody and DKenan Dennis were taken into custody. Moody was captured around 7:30 p.m. May 16 by Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office deputies near Central City. Officers found Dennis the same day near Chef Menteur Highway and Dale Street in New Orleans East.

Another escapee, Kendall Myles, 20, was captured on the day of the escape. He was found hiding under a car in a parking garage at Hotel Monteleone.

Two more inmates were arrested earlier this week. Gary Price, 21, was taken into custody Monday, and Corey Boyd, 19, was arrested Tuesday, according to USA Today.

Five inmates remain on the run: Antoine Massey, Lenton Vanburen, Jermaine Donald, Leo Tate, and Derrick Groves, CNN reports.

This combo from photos provided by Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office shows from left top: Dkenan Dennis, Gary C Price, Robert Moody, Kendell Myles, Corey E Boyd. Bottom from left: Lenton Vanburen Jr, Jermaine Donald, Antonine T Massey, Derrick D. Groves, and Leo Tate Sr. (Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office via AP)
  • Massey, 32, is charged with domestic abuse battery involving strangulation and theft of a motor vehicle valued between $5,000 and $25,000.

  • Vanburen, 26, is charged with battery of a correctional officer and a correctional facility employee.

  • Donald, 42, faces charges of aggravated battery and obscenity.

  • Tate, 31, is charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, simple burglary of an inhabited residence, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDS, and motor vehicle theft between $5,000 and $25,000, among other charges.

  • Groves, 27, is charged with battery of a correctional facility employee.

In response to the escape, the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections is under audit by the Orleans Justice Center.

The audit will “concentrate on jail operations, such as overall jail security, jail staffing, and jail policy and procedures,” Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections Secretary Gary Westcott said in a news release Tuesday.

“It is critically important to get all fugitives back into custody. But it is equally important that we identify and hold accountable anyone who facilitated or assisted with this historic jailbreak,” the district attorney wrote.

The Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office is offering a monetary reward for information about the remaining suspects.

Tips can be submitted anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 504-822-1111 or online at crimestoppersgno.org.

[Feature Photo:Louisiana state police enter a house on North Galvez street as they pursue a fugitive that escaped from a New Orleans jail, Tuesday, May 20, 2025, in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)]

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Tragic End: ‘Lobster Boy’ Circus Performer Fatally Shot by Hired Teenager

On November 29, 1992, the world of circus entertainment was rocked by…

Authorities Report Children Residing in Unsanitary Conditions Amidst Pest and Safety Concerns

Background: The home where children were allegedly found living in squalid conditions…

Shocking Courtroom Drama: Man’s Unbelievable List of Demands Leaves Everyone Speechless

Inset: Zachary Heckathorn (Martins Ferry Police Department). Background: The church where Heckathorn…

Tragic Loss: 8-Year-Old Jaylin Dies in Extreme Heat Incident Involving Parents

On a seemingly serene late summer morning in Odessa, Texas, young Jaylin…

Teenager Stabbed Following School Celebration in Brisbane

A chaotic scene unfolded when a teenage boy was stabbed following an…

Father Calls 911 Requesting Removal of 11-Year-Old Son After Food Request Leads to Confrontation

A father from South Carolina has landed in jail following accusations that…

New York Court Delivers Verdict in Tragic Case of Father Accused of Killing Daughter

Left: Kabary Salem (Lebanon County Jail). Right: Ola Salem (GoFundMe). A Pennsylvania…

Mystery Deepens: CCTV Captures Last Moments of Missing Stewardess Before Yacht Disappearance

Sarm Heslop possesses an adventurous spirit, channeling her energy into various roles…

Lawyer Reports Tina Clark’s Health Declining Amidst Solitary Confinement

Left: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a joint press conference with…

Shocking Family Violence: 70-Year-Old Man Arrested for Assaulting 95-Year-Old Mother

Inset: John Earl Black (Lee County Sheriff”s Office). Background: The 9000 block…

Father Allegedly Threatens Son with Harm After Refusing to Provide Food: Deputies Report

Background: Beason Rd. in Orangeburg, S.C. (Google Maps). Inset: Thomas Baker (Orangeburg…

Kentucky Man Arrested for Allegedly Injuring Girlfriend’s Child During Diaper Change

A Kentucky resident has been detained on charges of child abuse following…