Share this @internewscast.com
Accused Gilgo Beach serial killer Rex Heuermann is eager for his day in court, according to his lawyer.
“He’s very anxious to get to trial, but he’s a patient man,” Heuermann’s defense attorney Michael Brown told News 12 Long Island earlier this summer.
At that point, the news outlet conveyed that Brown anticipated the earliest trial date for Heuermann might be in 2026, emphasizing the “many things that need to happen in this case before then.”
Setting a trial date has been a time-consuming high hurdle due because of the sheer complexity of the case.
Heuermann, aged 61, is accused of murdering seven women whose bodies were discovered in and around the Gilgo Beach area of Long Island from 1993 to 2011.
Detained at the Riverhead Correctional Facility in Suffolk County, New York, since his apprehension in July 2023, Heuermann has entered a plea of not guilty to all the charges.
This infamous case is comprehensively examined in Peacock’s three-part documentary, The Gilgo Beach Killer: House of Secrets, which offers an unprecedented look inside the suspect’s residence and includes interviews with his family.
The documentary will be broadcasted on Oxygen on Sunday, August 31, with Parts 1 and 2 airing at 6 p.m. and 7:15 p.m., respectively. Part 3 is scheduled for Monday, September 1, at 8 p.m.
What is Rex Heuermann charged with?
Heuermann faces charges for the murders of Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman, Amber Costello, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, Jessica Taylor, Sandra Costilla, and Valerie Mack.
Nailing down a trial date for Heuermann, an architect and now-divorced father of two who lived in Massapequa Park on Long Island, depends on resolving key disputes between prosecution and defense.
These differences include admissibility of certain DNA evidence and whether to split the case into separate trials.
Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said in March that the case was “heading toward the trial phase,” WABC reported.
Tierney’s office is opposed to separate trials, citing common elements including victim profiles.
Brown has requested separate trials for each murder charge, owing to differences in the timing of when the victims were killed and the method of the killings.
“The danger of having count after count, victim after victim in the same trial is that ‘if there’s smoke, there’s fire’ mentality,” Brown said, according to NBC 4 New York. “They shouldn’t be tried together. One issue has nothing to do with the other.”
To learn more about the case, watch The Gilgo Beach Killer: House of Secrets, airing in several parts on August 31 and September 1 on Oxygen. The documentary in also still streaming on Peacock.