A fugitive dad who vanished into the New Zealand wilderness with his three young children has been caught on camera for the first time in a year breaking into a convenience store with one of his kids
Share this @internewscast.com

A fugitive father who disappeared into the wilderness of New Zealand with his three young children has been captured on camera for the first time in a year, apparently breaking into a convenience store with one of his kids.

Police say they are ‘confident’ that the chilling new CCTV footage appears to show Tom Phillips, alongside one of his missing children.

The video, captured in the early hours of Wednesday, shows two figures forcing their way into a small-town shop before fleeing on a quad bike.

Detective Senior Sergeant Andy Saunders revealed at a press conference on Friday that the pair helped themselves to ‘grocery items’ during the raid.

This latest development marks the most significant lead in years in a case that has captivated the nation since Phillips vanished with his children, Ember, Maverick, and Jayda in December 2021.

Police believe he snatched the youngsters after losing a bitter custody battle to their mother.

The break-in occurred just after 2am on Wednesday in the small North Island town of Piopio. Investigators report that Phillips seems to have attempted a similar heist before, targeting the same store in November 2023 but failing to enter.

Authorities released the footage in the hope someone might finally come forward with information about the family’s whereabouts. 

A fugitive dad who vanished into the New Zealand wilderness with his three young children has been caught on camera for the first time in a year breaking into a convenience store with one of his kids

A fugitive father who disappeared into the New Zealand wilderness with his three young children has been captured on camera for the first time in a year breaking into a convenience store with one of his kids.

Police say they are 'confident' that the chilling new CCTV footage appears to show Tom Phillips, alongside one of his missing children

Police say they are ‘confident’ that the chilling new CCTV footage appears to show Tom Phillips, alongside one of his missing children

The latest development is the strongest lead in years in a case that has gripped the country since Phillips disappeared with his children, Ember, Maverick and Jayda in December 2021

This latest development marks the most significant lead in years in a case that has captivated the nation since Phillips vanished with his children, Ember, Maverick, and Jayda in December 2021.

Police believe he snatched the youngsters after losing a bitter custody battle to their mother

Police believe he snatched the youngsters after losing a bitter custody battle to their mother

Saunders reminded the public that the children’s safety is the police’s top priority.

He said: ‘At the heart of this are three children who have been away from their home for four years. Their well-being is our main focus.’

Phillips is now wanted on serious charges, including aggravated robbery, aggravated wounding and unlawful possession of a firearm. 

Police allege he was behind a violent armed bank raid in Te Kūiti in 2023, where two people demanded cash before escaping on a motorbike. 

Investigators have long believed Phillips had assistance in living off the grid. Now they are examining whether this recent burglary suggests that these alliances have deteriorated.

Saunders said: ‘Does it mean that he’s potentially had a falling out with who’s helping him? Or is he just that brazen and confident that he’s quite happy to come out at night and commit a burglary?’

The fugitive has not been seen publicly since October last year, when a group of teenagers stumbled across him and his three children while hunting pigs. 

They filmed the remarkable encounter, the first confirmed sighting in almost three years, before the family vanished back into the bush.

Police believe he went on the run after losing a custody battle with the mother of his children

Police believe he went on the run after losing a custody battle with the mother of his children

Cops launched a nationwide manhunt for them and even offered an 80,000 New Zealand dollar reward

Cops launched a nationwide manhunt for them and even offered an 80,000 New Zealand dollar reward

At that time, police said the children had gone years without schooling or contact with the outside world. 

Despite a nationwide manhunt and an 80,000 New Zealand dollar reward for information leading to their safe return, the family has continued to evade capture. The reward expired last year with no claims.

Phillips’ family has repeatedly pleaded with him to bring the children home. 

His mother issued a heartbreaking message through local media saying: ‘Tom – I feel really sad that you thought you had to do this. Not considering how much we love you and can support you. 

‘It hurts every time I see photos of the children and of you and see some of your stuff that is still here.’

In a separate plea, she wrote directly to the youngsters: ‘Jayda, Maverick, Ember, I love you so much and really miss being part of your lives every day I wake up, and hope that today will be the day that you will come.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
U.S. Army soldiers exit a Black Hawk at the Truckee Tahoe Airport in Truckee, Calif., Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026, after aiding in recovery efforts for a group of skiers who went missing during a deadly avalanche. (AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)

Tragic Discovery: Bodies of 9 Backcountry Skiers Recovered After California Avalanche

Nine backcountry skiers tragically lost their lives in an avalanche near California’s…

Burke Announces Initiation of Procedures to Proscribe Islamist Organization Hizb ut-Tahrir

In brief Burke said his department had received advice from ASIO that…
Wellington Phoenix goalie Josh Oluwayemi (bottom right) has gone viral after he made a mind-boggling mistake in his side's 5-0 loss to Auckland on Saturday

Aussie Footballer’s Unforgettable Mistake Sparks Coach’s Sudden Resignation

Footballer Josh Oluwayemi has captured attention for a blunder that contributed significantly…
Radical Islamist group closer to hate speech laws ban

Crackdown on Hate Speech: Islamist Group Faces Potential Ban

In a significant development, Australia’s Home Affairs Minister, Tony Burke, announced today…
President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on Friday, February 20 in Washington.

Trump to Boost Tariffs to 15% Following Game-Changing Supreme Court Decision

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that he wants a global tariff…
At the end of a work day, commuters ride a metro train traveling from Flinders Street Station to points outside the city center of Melbourne, Australia

Majority of Nine.com.au Audience Achieves 2026 Goal Ahead of Schedule: Discover Their Secrets!

Exclusive Insight: A worrying trend is emerging in Australia as reading rates…

Unlocking the Migration Debate: Five Insightful Charts Reveal the Optimal ‘Sweet Spot

In the wake of the recent Bondi terror incident and the ongoing…
Chris Baghsarian has been missing for more than a week.

Police Intensify Investigation into Burnt-Out Car in Urgent Search for Missing Grandfather

Police believe a car torched in Sydney‘s west earlier this week is…

Is Trump Challenging the Global Rules-Based Order? Understanding the Implications

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz recently joined a growing number of world leaders…

From Pilot to Disgraced Figure: The Transformation of Former Prince Andrew

In Brief Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday after police previously said…
Haroula Kipouridou was working as a singer at a Greek tavern at the time of her murder.

Unveiling Justice: $1 Million Reward Offered in Chilling Cold Case Murder Investigation

A rare $1 million reward is being offered to help solve the…
NSW farmer and butcher Bianca Tarrant said the tariffs had a flow-on effect for producers.

Aussie Farmers Brace for Impact: US Tariff Shifts Spark Concerns Down Under

Farmers and producers across Australia are on edge after Donald Trump said…