Trump admin. asks appeals court to pause Chicago-area federal immigration agents use of force injunction while it considers appeal
Share this @internewscast.com

The Trump administration is urging the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals to swiftly halt a preliminary injunction that restricts federal immigration agents’ use of force in the Chicago area. The administration argues that the injunction breaches the separation of powers as the appeal is under consideration.

In an emergency request, the Department of Justice criticized the district court’s injunction as an overstep of judicial authority. “The district court has issued an extraordinary preliminary injunction, improperly expanding the judicial role and violating the separation of powers,” the DOJ stated. The injunction initially stemmed from complaints by journalists and protesters who claimed that Department of Homeland Security officers targeted them with crowd-control devices during protests in September and October. The DOJ contends this has led to excessive judicial oversight of federal law enforcement in Chicago.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Previously, District Judge Sara Ellis had issued the injunction, which imposes limits on the use of force by federal agents. The order specifically restricts the use of riot control weapons against journalists, demonstrators, and religious practitioners, except when warnings are given or when there’s an immediate threat to safety.

The Department of Justice criticized the judge’s order as excessively broad and impractical. “This overbroad and unworkable injunction lacks legal basis, endangers federal officers, and infringes on the separation of powers,” the DOJ stated. “The plaintiffs do not have the standing to pursue such broad relief based only on past alleged misconduct that might not recur. This injunction turns a single district court into a supervisory body for federal officers’ everyday operations.”

The injunction impacts the enforcement actions of federal agents under “Operation Midway Blitz.”

The injunction affects federal agents’ use of force as part of “Operation Midway Blitz.”

Ellis said the government lied under oath, saying federal agents’ conduct in the Chicagoland area shows no signs of stopping.

The U.S. Department of Homeland previously appealed Judge Ellis’ order.

The injunction largely mirrors and replaces the temporary restraining order that preceded it, forbidding the use of force against journalists and peaceful protesters and strictly limiting the manner and place in which chemical agents may be deployed.

Hours of testimony from elected officials, media representatives and others recounted being tear gassed and shot at with pepper bullets, all leading to the judge’s decision.

She said agents’ own body camera videos submitted by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement does not match up with what DHS claims happened in several incidents from the past two months.

She said the video showed clear excessive use of force against protesters amid immigration enforcement, whether at the Broadview ICE facility or out on the streets in the Chicago area, deploying tear gas without warning, instigating chaos and pushing protesters to the ground.

“It is difficult to see how an injunction requiring the government to follow the Constitution could possibly be harmful,” the judge said.

She also disputed statements made during Border Patrol Cmdr. Greg Bovino’s own recorded deposition, in which he defended his actions and those of federal agents.

Ellis called Bovino out for at least three instances in which his deposition contradicted the video evidence, including the Little Village incident on Oct. 23 when Bovino publicly said he had thrown a tear gas canister at protesters after being hit by a rock in the head. He later admitted, under oath, he had thrown it before.

RELATED | Chicago federal intervention: Tracking surge in immigration enforcement operations | Live updates

Although Bovino said, all uses of force and arrests that he’s seen have been – “more than exemplary” and the government has argued, agents have the right to protect themselves.

It is worth noting that while the 7th Circuit did block Ellis’ attempt to have Bovino meet with her daily, they did uphold the TRO that this order replaces. If it survives on appeal, the preliminary injunction will remain in effect until a trial on this case can be held.

ABC News contributed to this report.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
ICE in Chicago: Federal agents engaged in widespread misrepresentations to justify use of force, Judge Ellis says

Federal Agents in Chicago Accused of Misrepresentation to Justify Force, Judge Ellis Reports

In Chicago, the ABC7 I-Team is delving into a collection of videos…
Indiana Republican's Problematic Remark About Trump, How He's Voting on State Redistricting

Indiana Republican’s Controversial Comment on Trump and Its Impact on State Redistricting Vote

Indiana’s legislature is currently debating a redistricting proposal that could potentially bolster…
National Guardsman shot in DC is 'hanging on,' family pleading for prayer, congressman says

Family Seeks Prayers as National Guardsman Fights for Life After DC Shooting, Congressman Reports

In a pressing call for hope and support, a West Virginia National…
Giants and Patriots remain as intertwined as ever going into ‘Monday Night Football’

Giants vs. Patriots: A Historic Rivalry Takes Center Stage on Monday Night Football

Few sports rivalries are as deeply connected as that between the Giants…
Chicago Public Schools policy allows unlimited absences for illegal alien children amid ICE operations

Chicago Public Schools Introduces Flexible Absence Policy for Undocumented Students During ICE Activities

EXCLUSIVE ON FOX: Chicago Public Schools (CPS) have implemented a policy granting…
Ice skating in the Sunshine state: rink opens under Fuller Warren Bridge

Florida’s New Ice Skating Rink Debuts Under Fuller Warren Bridge: A Cool Escape in the Sunshine State

Ice skating enthusiasts can glide across the public rink until January 19th.…
Illinois man charged with arson after allegedly setting home ablaze on Thanksgiving

Illinois Resident Accused of Thanksgiving Day House Fire

In a shocking Thanksgiving incident, an Illinois man found himself behind bars…
Zootopia 2: Meet the voices behind some new characters in Disney-animated sequel, including Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan

Disney Unveils New Voices for ‘Zootopia 2’: Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan Join the Animated Sequel

LOS ANGELES — Disney’s highly anticipated “Zootopia 2” is making waves at…
Russia outlaws Human Rights Watch as crackdown on dissent continues

Russia Bans Human Rights Watch: Escalating Clampdown on Free Speech and Dissent

On Friday, Russian authorities declared Human Rights Watch as an “undesirable organization.”…
Maduro brandishes sword at rally as he rails against 'imperialist aggression' amid rising tensions with US

Maduro’s Fiery Rally: Sword-Wielding Protest Against U.S. ‘Imperialist Aggression

Earlier this week in Caracas, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro delivered a bold…
'Jailhouse Karen' Bryan Kohberger complains about prison bananas after quadruple murder conviction: report

Convicted Murderer Bryan Kohberger Criticizes Prison Bananas Following Quadruple Homicide Verdict: Report

A convicted murderer, Bryan Kohberger, has recently made headlines for reportedly expressing…
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Fox News True Crime Newsletter: Unraveling Anna Kepner’s Enigma, Alex Murdaugh’s Legal Drama, and the Stalled Investigation of Martha Moxley

In a tragic turn of events, 18-year-old Anna Kepner was discovered deceased…