Share this @internewscast.com
Manchester City say they are ‘shocked and appalled’ after Joao Cancelo was allegedly assaulted by four attackers in a burglary at his home.
The Portugal international revealed injuries to his face in an Instagram story on Thursday evening after being the victim of an alleged robbery.
Cancelo, 27, said the intruders also tried to hurt his family before stealing ‘all of his jewellery’.
‘Unfortunately today I was assaulted by four cowards who hurt me and tried to hurt my family,’ he said.
‘When you show resistance this is what happens. They managed to take all my jewellery and leave me with my face in this state.
‘I don’t know how there are people with such meanness.’
He added: ‘The most important thing for me is my family and luckily they are all OK. And I after so many obstacles in my life, this is just one more that I will overcome. Firm and strong, like always.’
Cancelo has featured in 19 of Manchester City’s 20 Premier League matches so far this season, with Pep Guardiola’s side pulling eight points clear of their rivals as they bid to defend the title.
A statement from the Premier League champions said: ‘We are shocked and appalled that Joao Cancelo and his family were subjected to a burglary at their home this evening during which Joao was also assaulted.
‘Joao and his family are being supported by the Club and he is helping the police with their enquiries as they investigate this very serious matter.’
Cancelo has made 101 appearances for Man City since signing from Italian club Juventus in the summer of 2019 and helped Guardiola’s side beat Brentford 1-0 on Wednesday night to record their tenth win in a row.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Source: Metro Sport