It’s unclear the harm posed by the microplastics found in a roast dinner but the findings warn against complacency.
Professor Shaji Sebastian, a gastroenterology expert at Hull University Teaching Hospitals, said: “Am I frightened? No. But it could be a cause for concern if we do nothing.
“The question is whether it stays there once ingested. Research shows it gets into the bloodstream but does it go to other organs?”
He added: “The results of this investigation are surprising and make research into the impacts of microplastics on the human body all the more urgent.”
What’s more, the study was carried out in animals so the more research is needed to assess the threat posed to humans, the professor said.