England coach Brendon McCullum maintains belief his side can get back into this Ashes series, despite staring down the barrel of another defeat Down Under
Share this @internewscast.com

D-Day has arrived sooner than England anticipated. With a mere 15 days remaining in the Ashes series, Ben Stokes and his team face the daunting task of overcoming a 2–0 deficit to achieve an unprecedented 3–2 victory. In the storied 148-year history of Test cricket, no team has managed to turn the tables on Australia in such a manner.

Beyond the immediate challenge lies a broader discussion about the future of Stokes and head coach Brendon McCullum, as well as the strategic approach they’ve embraced since their partnership began in 2022.

That year blossomed into a memorable summer, with England achieving remarkable chases of 277, 296, and another 296 to sweep New Zealand, followed by a national-record chase of 378 to defeat India. They also staged a comeback to overcome South Africa and later amassed a staggering 506 for four on the opening day of their Pakistan tour, leading to a historic 3–0 series victory.

The term “Bazball” became synonymous with their aggressive style, although McCullum himself dislikes the moniker. It has stuck firmly, often cited when the going gets tough.

Should challenges intensify in Adelaide this week, many—including skeptical Australians—may label the approach a failure, viewing it with skepticism and derision from the outset.

Thus far, the Bazball era has yielded 25 victories in 43 Tests, with only two series losses out of 11. Nonetheless, the current tour has long been seen as the ultimate test, regardless of McCullum’s contract, which extends to the home Ashes series in 2027.

Does he consider it fair that three and a half years’ work will be considered to have gone up in smoke if England lose the third Test?

England coach Brendon McCullum maintains belief his side can get back into this Ashes series, despite staring down the barrel of another defeat Down Under

England coach Brendon McCullum maintains belief his side can get back into this Ashes series, despite staring down the barrel of another defeat Down Under

Questions will be asked regarding McCullum's future if England are hammered by Australia this winter

Questions will be asked regarding McCullum’s future if England are hammered by Australia this winter

‘It is what it is, right?’ he said. ‘We came here with high hopes and expectations, and we had a plan we felt would give ourselves the best chance of being successful.

‘We haven’t quite executed that so far in Australia, or seized those key moments, and hence they sit 2–0 up. It doesn’t mean we throw that plan out now.

‘If anything, we just need to chisel away at some of the things we haven’t got quite right, and make sure we still have that conviction in what we’re trying to achieve.’

McCullum tends to speak only at the end of a Test defeat. But he has grown increasingly paternal here in Australia, deliberately drawing the flak after the pink-ball game at the Gabba by suggesting his side had ‘over-trained’, and on Sunday holding the first press conference since his side returned from their four-day break in the holiday resort of Noosa.

‘That’s your job as a leader, and I’ll never shy away from protecting my players,’ he said. ‘There are times where you have to take your own scrutiny on board, and that’s fine. You sign up for these jobs because you know you’re tough enough to handle those situations.’

And there has been scrutiny, all right. The local media hammed up an altercation at Brisbane airport over the weekend between one of England’s security guards and a TV cameraman, but McCullum responded with the kind of calm he hopes will transmit to his players this week.

‘Obviously it wasn’t ideal,’ he said. ‘But hopefully it’s been dealt with and everyone’s able to move on. When you come to Australia, there’s a lot of intensity and scrutiny on everything you do. And I feel like we’ve managed ourselves pretty well throughout this tour.

‘It’s how you embrace that, how you’re able to lean into it, and how you’re still able to clear your mind when you walk out to play.’

McCullum, of course, was in charge when England last found themselves 2–0 down in the Ashes, in 2023. He nearly provoked sniggers on the Lord’s outfield by suggesting 3–2 had ‘a nice ring to it’, yet he almost got his wish.

Though many in Australia have erased the memory, Pat Cummins’s team were spared defeat only by five sessions of rain in Manchester. Now, England’s coach is sticking to the mantra, even if he has little choice.

‘We knew when we came here that we had to win three Tests to win the series,’ he said. ‘The fact that we’re 2–0 down means we’ve made it harder on ourselves, but it doesn’t stop the belief you have within the dressing-room.’

McCullum and captain Ben Stokes have spent the week rallying their troops

McCullum and captain Ben Stokes have spent the week rallying their troops

England blew a strong position in the opening Test in Perth but were second best for most of the day-night Test in Brisbane

England blew a strong position in the opening Test in Perth but were second best for most of the day-night Test in Brisbane

Australia will continue to assail England from all angles, both before and during the Adelaide Test. The latest attack line is that the tourists turned down the chance to play a first-class match against Australia A at the MCG ahead of the series opener at Perth, though England insist the proposed dates were too close to the end of their white-ball tour of New Zealand to be feasible.

That is all history now. And McCullum is clinging to the belief that history is precisely what his team can make in the weeks ahead.

‘We’ve got to be quicker to adapt to conditions, and to the plans Australia set down, and be a little more calculated when we get the opportunity to put the foot on the throat. Australia are a resourceful team. They switch plans quickly and they buy into those plans quickly. We’ve probably been a little bit slow to do that so far.’

If England lose this week, and the tour unravels completely, that could well be the last meaningful rallying cry of McCullum’s reign. For the coach, and for Bazball, the stakes have never been higher.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
The Todd Tavern in Alice Springs is one of 20 venues where the serving of alcohol will be further restricted.

Alice Springs Enforces New Mid-Week Pub Rules: No Meal, No Pint Policy Shakes Up Local Scene

A sweeping reform is set to hit pubs in Alice Springs as…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
Man to face trial over 40 years after granny's 'reprehensible' rape

Justice Delayed: Man Faces Trial for Heinous 1983 Rape of Grandmother

Warning: This article includes content that may be distressing to some readers.…
One Nation leader Senator Pauline Hanson during a press conference at Parliament House in Canberra on Monday 19 January 2026.

Pauline Hanson Faces Backlash: Controversial Remarks Slammed as ‘Un-Australian

One of Australia’s most prominent conservative senators has delivered a stinging critique…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…

Sydney Eases Protest Restrictions Following Two-Month Enforcement Period

In brief NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he was satisfied there…
Health insurance hike to 'push many households to the edge'

Impending Health Insurance Increase Poised to Strain Household Budgets

Australians are about to be hit with the largest average price hike…
Brandan Koschel attended the March for Australia protest alongside hundreds of others winding their way through Sydney's city centre.

White Supremacist Sentenced for Incendiary Australia Day Speech

A man who threw his support behind neo-Nazis and spouted anti-Semitic remarks…

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations: Breakthrough in Guiding Principles, Yet Deal Remains Elusive

In brief A US official said Iran would make detailed proposals in…

Exposing the Exploitation: Urgent Oversight Needed as NDIS Providers Threaten First Nations’ Vulnerable

Individuals with disabilities, considered vulnerable, are being lured with monetary incentives, food,…
Dual nationals may have to pay nearly £600 for a 'certificate of entitlement' to enter the UK under new Home Office rules

New Passport Regulations May Restrict UK Entry for Young Britons Born Overseas Starting Next Week

New regulations concerning passports might prevent British children born overseas from entering…

Join Randa Abdel-Fattah at the Sydney Writers’ Festival: A Must-Attend Event for Literature Lovers!

In brief Sydney Writers’ Festival said in a statement it was “not…