John Krasinski’s decision to sell his popular YouTube show Some Good News has brought the Office star nothing but bad news online, with angered fans branding him a ‘sell out’.
News broke earlier this week that Krasinski had struck a deal to sell his uplifting story broadcast to ViacomCBS following a ‘massive bidding war’, the Hollywood Reporter first revealed.
The 40-year-old launched the show at the cusp of the coronavirus pandemic to provide much needed relief from devastating news coverage, with some episodes garnering as many as 17 million views.
‘For years now, I’ve been wondering, “Why is there not a news show dedicated entirely to good news?” Well, desperately seeking my fix somewhere else, I reached out to all of you this week, asking — nay, begging — for some good news,’ he said during his first broadcast. ‘And, boy, did you deliver.’
But last week, Krasinski aired what would be the show’s 14th and finale episode, holding back tears as he told viewers ‘We’re taking a break for now, but there is more to come – stay tuned,’ – days before news of the CBS deal was made public.
Reaction to that deal has been decidedly negative online, with angered fans accusing the actor acting ‘dishonorably’ by turning the uplifting show into a cash grab
Feedback: John Krasinski, 40, was slammed by a segment of his fan base after selling his popular YouTube series Some Good News to ViacomCBS
‘This makes me feel like you’re a sellout,’ one user wrote. ‘Was this a money move? i really don’t understand. your show could have just inspired them to share good news, not take what you started.’
Adding fuel to the fire is the fact Krasinski will also no longer function as the host of the series. While few details have been given, Krasinski is expected to stay on as an executive producer.
Fans said that Krasinski and his threadbare approach is what made the show interesting, and that they won’t hang around to see the changes CBS/Viacom makes in action.
‘This will lose the heart of SGN, one fan said, ‘and [become] just another corporate money-making watered down version of what it once was.’
Another added: ‘The fact that it was small and thrown together was the appeal. Absolutely lost a viewer, and my opinion of you has fallen a bit.’
One fan wrote, ‘Yeah! Selling out is cool! Who cares if people without CBS Access won’t get to see it!’ to which a tweet from the show’s account noted, ‘We are going to be free and available on multiple platforms. SGN lives on and we hope you come with us!’
Rationale: Fans said that Krasinski and his threadbare approach was what made the show interesting
Ka-ching! Fans noted the main objective of the YouTube series was to spread positive vibes
Entertainment writer Lindsey Weber also waded into the debate, rhetorically asking her followers if they ‘remember when he created this free feel good YouTube show to “make people feel good” and now he is…………….selling it for $$$? really cool, 100% honorable.’
Florida-based film professor, Nathan Hartman, wrote: ‘You got to love when what seemed like an act of goodwill during a pandemic can be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Mmmmm taste that sweet sweet capitalism.’
Before pulling the plug on the project, Krasinski’s Some Good News earned nearly 1 million followers on Instagram and 2.57 million subscribers on YouTube, with each broadcast bringing in between 3 million and 17 million viewers.
His premiere episode saw a reunion between himself and Steve Carell, with whom he starred alongside in The Office. Other cameos have included the likes of Brad Pitt and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Krasinski signed off his final episode Tuesday, saying he was ‘no longer needing to remind you that no matter how hard things get, there is always good in the world. Thank you all for making this show so very special. We will see you again.’
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the 40-year-old was hesitant in the face of a landslide of offers to buy the show, which reportedly began shortly after its debut in late March.
The sum offered by ViacomCBS that seemingly tempted Krasinski over the line has not yet been disclosed.
‘So he made 8 YouTube videos comprised largely of unpaid contributions from fans, sold the brand to a major conglomerate, and isn’t even going to make it anymore?,’ One fan tweeted. ‘Just cashed out? Does this rub anyone else the wrong way, kinda?’
‘I can’t believe you sold it,’ another tweeted in disappointment. ‘It’s not about the good news, it’s about the profit.’
Amid the fallout, Krasinski has insisted that he ‘could not be more excited and proud to be partnering with CBS/Viacom to be able to bring Some Good News to so many more people!’
He has not yet publicly addressed the negative feedback to the deal. Reps for Krasinski could not be reached for comment by DailyMail.com.
Thanks but no thanks: Many fans rejected the idea the show would retain the core elements that made it a hit
Paywall? Some questioned the availability of the show, but a tweet from the account indicated it would remain free of charge
Source: dailymail US