5.9k Share this
Jes Staley is an American banker who is well recognized to be the former group chief executive(CEO) of Barclays, the multinational universal bank from which he stood down on November 1, 2021, after being succeeded by C. S. Venkatakrishnan. Having his career started in the year 1979 at age of 23, Staley has garnered nearly four decades of experience in banking and financial services.
After spending more than 34 years at J.P. Morgan’s investment bank, he ultimately became the CEO of the bank and then the CEO of Barclays plc. He also served on the board of the Institute of International Finance.
He stepped down with immediate effect following an investigation by British regulators into his relationship with the disgraced financier, Jeffrey Epstein. However, he doesn’t hold any social media accounts.
What is Jes Staley Famous for?
- Famous as a former group chief executive(CEO) of Barclays.
Where is Jes Staley From?
Jes Staley was born on December 27, 1956, in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. His birth name is James Edward Staley. His nationality is American. Staley belongs to the White ethnicity while Capricon is his zodiac sign.
Born and raised in his hometown, Boston, Jess grew up alongside his brother, Peter Staley, who now is a political activist well-known for his works in HIV/AIDS activism. Growing up, he attended the local school and was good in academics after which he joined Bowdoin College graduating earning a degree in economics.
Both his father and his grandfather were business executives in the northeastern United States. His father, Paul R. Staley, was president as well as CEO of PQ Corporation, who eventually settled the family outside of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, while his grandfather, Edward Staley, was the top executive of W.T. Grant when the company filed for bankruptcy in 1976.
Jes Staley’s Career Highlights
- Jes Staley started his career soon after his graduation, joining the Morgan Guaranty Trust Co. of New York in 1979.
- He then served as head of corporate finance for Brazil and general manager of the company’s Brazilian brokerage firm from 1980 for 9 years till 1989.
- He eventually became one of the founding members of J.P. Morgan’s equities business in the early 1990s.
- He then ran the Equity Capital Market and Syndicate groups.
- He became head of J.P. Morgan’s Private Banking division in 1999.
- Two years later, he was promoted to become the CEO of J.P. Morgan Asset Management which ran the division until 2009.
- In 2009, he was promoted to Chief Executive of the Investment Bank.
- After more than 30 years of his service, he left J.P. Morgan in 2013 to join the BlueMountain Capital as a managing partner.
- He was elected to the board of directors of the Swiss global financial services company UBS in May 2015.
- The same year on December 1, 2015, he became group chief executive of Barclays.
- He serves on the boards of the Institute of International Finance, United States-China Business Council.
- He also became a member of the advisory board of the American Museum of Natural History.
- On November 1, 2021, he stood down as CEO of Barclays and was succeeded by C. S. Venkatakrishnan.
Jes Staley’s Sexuality? Who is he married to?
Jes Staley is a married man and has been married just once to date. His first and the only marriage was with his beautiful wife, Debbie Staley. She is an American expert inside plan master and fills in as the leader leading group of her plan firm called “Debora Staley Interiors Inc.”.
The couple met for the first time while Jes started to work in South America as he once said in an interview; “I was Unitarian Boston American and she was Jewish Brazilian São Paulo … I was her parents’ worst nightmare.”
They are blessed with two daughters and currently reside on Park Avenue, New York City, and Southampton, New York. Besides, Staley has also served on the board of the Robin Hood Foundation, a charitable organization dedicated to solving poverty-based problems in New York City.
Jes Staley’s Net Worth
Jes Staley has quite good earnings from his professional career as a banker and the chief executive(CEO) of Barclays. Having his career started with Morgan Guaranty Trust Co., Staley has managed to come a long way up becoming one of the richest bankers in the world.
During his tenure at J.P. Morgan, its Asset Management’s client assets expanded from $605 billion to nearly $1.3 trillion. He also had bought 2.8m shares in Barclays at 233p. With his work as the CEO of the two different banks including the highly successful band, Barclays, he has a net worth estimate to be around $120 million with his salary of around £4 million for 2020, including an annual bonus of £843,000 despite that the bank’s pre-profits went down to £3.1bn for 2020 from £4.4bn in 2019.
He even reportedly received up to £8.24 million, within a year of his appointment at Barclays. As of 2021, after he stepped down as the CEO of Barclays, he will receive his full 12 months’ pay which totals to an annual salary of £2.4 million.
Jes Staley’s Height
Jes Staley is a man with a respect having an average body weight in his 60s. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inch. while his body weighs around 70kg. He has a fair complexion with brown hair and dark brown eyes.
Source: Gossip Gist