3.9k Share this
Randall Darius Jackson, popularly known as Randy Jackson is an American musician, record producer, entrepreneur, and television personality. Jackson is famous for being the longest-serving judge on the singing reality show, American Idol. He served as an American Idol judge from season one to twelve and left the show in 2014. He started his career as a session musician in the 1980s. He then became a record producer working in the A&R department at Columbia Records and MCA Records. He is also the executive producer of MTV’s America’s Best Dance Crew.
What is Randy Jackson Famous For?
- The longest-serving judge on American Idol.
Where is Randy Jackson From?
Randy Jackson was born on 23 June 1956. His birth name is Randall Darius Jackson. His birth place is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in the United States. He holds American nationality. He belongs to the African-American ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. He was born to his father, Herman Jackson, and his mother, Julia Jackson.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Southern University. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in music in 1979.
Randy Jackson Career
- Randy Jackson started his career in the 1980s as a session musician.
- He was playing bass guitar for several jazz, pop, rock, and R&B artists and bands.
- He has performed, recorded, produced, or toured with popular artists such as Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Dionne Farris, Celine Dion, Madonna, Fergie, Jean-Luc Ponty, Zucchero, Billy Cobham, Steve Lukather, Maze, Kenny G, Tracy Chapman, Bruce Springsteen and bands Divinyls, Taxxi, and Stryper among others.
- He was a session musician for the rock group Journey from 1986 to 1987.
- He played on Journey’s 1986 album, Raised on Radio.
- He was rehired as bassist for the band in May 2020 after the band split with founding member Ross Valory.
- He soon established himself as an artist’s first choice as a producer. He worked as producer for numerous artists.
- He released his own album, produced entirely by himself, titled Randy Jackson’s Music Club, Vol. 1 in March 2008.
- Besides performing, he is the manager of the Charlotte-based band, Paper Tongues.
- He also worked as vice president of artists and repertoire (A&R) at Columbia Records.
- He led A&R at MCA Records for four years.
- He hosts a radio top 40 countdown show known as Randy Jackson’s Hit List, syndicated by Westwood One.
- Jackson is the longest-serving judge on the American singing reality show, American Idol.
- He joined American Idol since its inception in 2002.
- He remained the judge of the show from the first season to the twelfth season.
- He became one of the in-house mentors for the thirteenth season.
- He left the show in November 2014.
- He produced an American group dance competition and reality tv show, America’s Best Dance Crew.
- The show ran from 2008 until its cancellation in 2012 due to declined ratings.
Who is Randy Jackson Wife?
Randy Jackson first married a woman named Elizabeth. They shared a daughter named, Taylor. Their marriage was dissolved in 1990. Jackson married his second wife, Erika Riker in 1995. They shared two children, a daughter Zoe and a son Jordan. He filed for divorce in 2014 and their divorce was finalized in 2019.
What is Randy Jackson Height?
Randy Jackson stands at the height of 1.73 m i.e. 5 feet and 8 inches tall. Now, he has a balanced body weight. In his early American Idol days, he weighed around 350 lbs. He underwent gastric bypass surgery in 2003 and lost 114 pounds. He revealed in 2008 that he has type 2 diabetes which led to the surgery. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
What is Randy Jackson Net Worth?
Randy Jackson is a popular musician and record producer. He started his career as a session musician and played for several performers. To date, he has either performed, recorded, produced, or toured with numerous popular artists. He is also a record executive working in the A&R department at Columbia Records and MCA Records. He is also the longest-serving judge on the popular singing reality show, American Idol. Summing up, he has made his fortune out of his music career. His net worth is estimated at $50 million at present.
Did You Know?
- His father was a plant foreman and his mother was a homemaker.
- He has worked with Mariah Carey throughout her career.
- He played bass guitar for the 1986 comedy film, Jumpin’ Jack Flash.
- He participated in We Are the World 25 for Haiti as part of the chorus in February 2010.
Source: Gossip Gist