Man arrested in Aiken County on charges of assault, kidnapping and criminal sexual conduct with minor
Share this @internewscast.com


NEW YORK (AP) — Authorities have tied a Georgia resident to a series of sexual assaults that terrorized New York City in the early 1990s, thanks to DNA evidence from a cup he discarded. This breakthrough has led to charges against Michael Benjamin, 57, from Conyers.

Benjamin was extradited to New York and faced arraignment on Thursday, where the court deemed him a significant flight risk and denied bail, according to the prosecution.

As Benjamin was led out of a New York police station, he vociferously maintained his innocence to reporters, asserting, “I didn’t do this! I didn’t do none of this!” He challenged the evidence, asking, “What witness? What fingerprints? I didn’t do this!”

The string of assaults spanned from July 1995 to February 1997, with the perpetrator gaining access to homes through windows, prosecutors explained. The victims, aged 21 to 42, included a woman who was attacked twice. In addition to the assaults, the assailant stole cash and valuables from each victim.

The crucial link to Benjamin was made last year when DNA from a cup he discarded at the Rockdale County Sheriff’s office was tested. This DNA matched samples collected during the original investigations of the assaults, prosecutors revealed.

Benjamin was linked to the assaults by DNA obtained last year from a discarded cup he had used inside the Rockdale County Sheriff’s office, prosecutors said. It was submitted for testing and matched DNA retrieved at the time the assaults occurred.

Benjamin was arrested in Georgia on Sept. 22 and extradited to New York on Tuesday. He faces 17 counts, including sexual assault and burglary charges.

“Although decades have passed, these cold cases were not forgotten,” Queens County District Attorney Melinda Katz said. “It is never too late for justice.”

Benjamin’s lawyer, Joseph Amsel, said his client “vigorously, vehemently and vociferously” denies the charges. “Most of these charges are outside of the statute of limitations,” Amsel said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Survivors of Hong Kong Apartment Fire Reflect on Their Next Steps

HONG KONG – It was a typical afternoon when William Li received…

FC Alliance North Girls Triumph in State Championship Victory

A team from the FC Alliance North soccer club recently returned to…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Greene County Standoff Leads to Man Facing Multiple Attempted Murder Charges, Says Sheriff

A man has been arrested and charged with several counts of attempted…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

Jonesborough Illuminates the Season with Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

The heart of Tennessee’s oldest town, Jonesborough, sprang to life as the…

Unexploded Grenade Found in Orlando Community, Fire Department Reports

ORLANDO, Fla. – Fire department crews discovered a grenade while responding to…

Shocking Revelation: Attorney Alleges Travis Turner Departed with Firearm – Full Statement Inside

BIG STONE GAP, Va. (WJHL) — Travis Turner’s family attorney has issued…

Gaza Ministry Reports Over 70,000 Palestinian Lives Lost in Ongoing Israel-Hamas Conflict

DEIR EL-BALAH – As the conflict between Israel and Hamas continues, the…

Heartfelt Farewell: Motorcade Honors Fallen National Guard Member Tragically Shot in Washington D.C.

On Thursday evening, a solemn procession departed from Medstar Washington Medical Center,…