Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news China and Latin America Form Alliance to Challenge Trump’s Trade Policies
  • Local news

China and Latin America Form Alliance to Challenge Trump’s Trade Policies

  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
China presents a united front with Latin America, aiming to counter Trump's trade war

Up next

Detained in The Hague, Philippines' Duterte wins hometown mayoral election

Despite Being Detained in The Hague, Former Philippines’ President Duterte Secures Victory in Hometown Mayoral Election

Published on 13 May 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

China and Latin America Form Alliance to Challenge Trump's Trade Policies

TAIPEI – In response to President Donald Trump’s trade war, China is actively working to bolster its alliances with other nations. This strategic move was evident as China and leaders from Latin America came together to present a united front at an event held on Tuesday in Beijing.

Positioning itself as a stable and dependable trade and development partner, China’s leaders are contrasting their approach with the uncertainty stemming from Trump’s tariff policies and other economic measures.

A significant development occurred on Monday when Beijing and Washington announced progress in the tariff situation. Following weekend discussions in Geneva, Switzerland, both nations decided to reduce the elevated tariffs for 90 days to facilitate further negotiations.

Having moved to defuse antagonisms with the U.S., Chinese President Xi Jinping said China stands ready to “join hands” with Latin countries “in the face of seething undercurrents of pure political and bloc confrontation and the surging tide of unilateralism and protectionism.”

“There are no winners in tariff wars or trade wars,” Xi said, reiterating a phrase China has used repeatedly when referring to Trump’s policies.

He was speaking to the China-CELAC, or Community of Latin American and Caribbean States, Forum, which began in 2015. The presidents of Brazil, Chile and Colombia were among the Latin American and Caribbean officials attending.

Xi announced five programs, focused on political exchanges, economic development, cultural and academic exchanges and global security to build closer ties between China and Latin American nations.

He promised to boost imports from the region and to encourage Chinese companies to increase their investments there. He announced a new 66 billion yuan ($9.2 billion) credit line to support Latin American and Caribbean financing.

China also plans to expand cooperation in clean energy, 5G telecommunications, the digital economy, artificial intelligence and global security.

China’s trade with the region has been growing rapidly, exceeding $500 billion for the first time last year. Much of that growth has come from increased Chinese imports of farm goods including soybeans and beef, and energy imports such as crude oil, iron ore and critical minerals.

Beijing’s investments in the region through Xi’s Belt and Road Initiative, or BRI, have included installing 5G networks and building ports and hydropower plants.

Colombian President Gustavo Petro announced Monday that his country would formally join the BRI – in a vote of confidence after several Chinese projects in Latin America hit snags in recent months.

In February, Panama became the first Latin American country to quit the initiative under pressure from the U.S. And earlier this month, Chinese electric vehicle maker BYD and stainless steel producer Tsingshan announced they were abandoning plans to build lithium cathode plants in Chile due to falling lithium prices.

In other pledges, Beijing plans to invite 300 members from Latin American political parties to China annually for the next three years and facilitate 3,500 government scholarships and various other types of exchanges.

Five Latin American countries will receive visa exemptions for travel to China, with more to follow, Xi said. It was not immediately clear which countries would become visa exempt.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. – A razor-thin Republican primary contest for Florida’s Congressional…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory - Internewscast Journal
  • US

NBA Hopeful Who Survived Cardiac Arrest Wins Key Court Victory

This one came down to the wire. Vincent Iwuchukwu, the pro basketball…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN) sharply criticized Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
Sydney Swans Draw Strong Crowds Despite Mass Walkout Fears - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Sydney Swans Draw Strong Crowds Despite Mass Walkout Fears

The Sydney Swans have returned to the field for the first time…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026
17-Year-Old Girl Identified as Victim in Swedish School Sword Attack - Internewscast Journal
  • News

17-Year-Old Girl Identified as Victim in Swedish School Sword Attack

Police in Sweden said Saturday that the victim killed in a sword…
  • Internewscast
  • August 23, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.