'We're scattered': It could be several days before Clearwater condo is deemed safe
Share this @internewscast.com

CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – Crews were at work Thursday stabilizing and repairing a cracked pillar in a Clearwater Beach condo building.

On Tuesday, residents were forced to evacuate from the South Beach III condominium building on Sand Key.

The split prompted a massive response on Gulf Boulevard. Sixty people were forced to evacuate, and some residents were carried out on stretchers.

Residents will not be able to return home until the project is complete.

“I live on the 12th floor,” recounted resident Scott May. “Suddenly, there was a knock, and two firefighters were at the door insisting that we evacuate immediately. I’m still wearing the same clothes I had on when I left the building on Tuesday.”

Officials said the crack was discovered amid the condo renovation project to the garage floor.

It’s one of many renovations taking place over recent months.

An engineering firm carried out a significant inspection for the Clearwater Key Association, South Beach III Condominium at 1460 Gulf Boulevard last year.

The City of Clearwater released the following statement about the recent milestone inspection report conducted by Karins Engineering:

“The Community Association received these documents in August and September of 2024, but the city has no record of receiving the required building milestone inspection reports by the December 31, 2024, deadline. According to Florida Statute, buildings that are 30 years old as of July 1, 2022, must complete their initial inspection by December 31, 2024, and adhere to all statutory requirements to remain compliant.”

On Wednesday, city officials received the phase 1 milestone inspection reports that were issued on August 8, 2024, and Sept. 26, 2024.

The report states that the engineer did not observe conditions that would compromise the safety of the building for its intended use and occupancy.

“I don’t think it can hurt to have a second opinion,” May said. “People’s lives are at stake. If we go back up there, of course, we want to know that we’re safe.”

The city issued a permit to a general contractor for temporary shoring. Officials said there will be a threshold inspection to verify the work and to allow occupancy of the building. Additional work will be needed to complete more substantial repairs.

According to officials, the Clearwater Building Official will not allow residents to return to the building until a structural engineer delivers a report with confirmation that the structure is stable and safe to occupy.

Leaders with the Clearwater Fire and Rescue Division said construction crews saw a crack in one of the beams, noticed the split was widening and called first responders.

The 12-story, 140-unit condo building was constructed in 1980. According to the Clearwater permitting website, the structure was inspected last May.

The Red Cross is assisting displaced residents. The condo association told residents that it could be three to four more days before until structural engineers verify the building is safe to re-enter.

On Thursday, the condo association sent this update to residents:

While the building is still under no access, we are working on a plan to have resident entry for emergency retrieval of personal items. The City and the Engineer continue to work on stabilizing the building. 

We anticipate written authorization for emergency access from Karins Engineering within the next 24 hours.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Historic Impersonation: ‘Abraham Lincoln’ Found Guilty in Shocking East Tennessee Manslaughter Case

A Tennessee man has been sentenced to a prison term ranging from…

Love Takes Flight: Sandhill Cranes Kick Off Nesting Season in Florida’s Natural Haven

ORLANDO, Fla. – While sandhill cranes might not express affection with typical…

Britain’s Beloved Chief Mouser Larry Celebrates 15 Years in Political Spotlight

LONDON – In the midst of political upheavals, one constant presence has…

Europe Stands Firm: Debunking the US Myth of ‘Civilizational Erasure

MUNICH – A leading European Union figure on Sunday dismissed claims that…

Central Florida Storm Forecast: Detailed Hourly Timeline of Upcoming Weather Conditions

ORLANDO, Fla. – Residents of northwestern counties are facing a level-two risk…

2023 Independent Spirit Awards Shine Spotlight on Indie Film and TV Excellence in Los Angeles

Ethan Hawke, Rose Byrne, and Keke Palmer are among the prominent actors…

Heartbreaking Loss: Orlando Couple Tragically Perishes in Texas Plane Crash

In Orlando, Florida, a community grieves the loss of a cherished local…

US Forest Service Combats Ocala National Forest Brush Fire: Road Closures Impact Travel

In Marion County, Florida, a significant brush fire has prompted authorities to…

Traffic Alert: Cherokee Road in Johnson City Temporarily Closed Following Accident

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (WJHL) — A significant traffic incident has led to…

WJHL Flashback: A Look Back at Singing Valentines from 2003

In Johnson City, Tennessee, former News Channel 11 anchor Tim Cable was…

FBI Links DNA from Glove Found Near Guthrie Residence to Suspect

In a development that has left authorities working around the clock, investigators…