Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin
Share this @internewscast.com

A hearing is scheduled for Thursday to determine if certain crime scene photos from the 2022 murders of four Idaho students, allegedly by Bryan Kohberger, should remain permanently restricted from public access. This comes after two victims’ families filed a lawsuit against the city of Moscow.

Madison Mogen’s and Ethan Chapin’s families have requested a permanent injunction to prevent the release of specific photos and body camera footage to the public.

They argue that releasing certain images, particularly those of the bedrooms where the students were slain, constitutes an “unwarranted invasion of their privacy.”

Mogen and Chapin, along with Kaylee Goncalves and Xana Kernodle, were murdered by Kohberger, who is now serving four life sentences. 

Attorney Leander James, representing the families, mentioned on “CUOMO” that there is a clear precedent in Idaho and elsewhere against distributing death scene images. He stated, “I believe those photographs should not be released to the public.”

James also emphasized that the case has not gone to trial, meaning these images were not used as evidence and remain outside the public domain, reinforcing that they should be considered private.

Earlier this month, after the release of hundreds of case files that included descriptions of the disturbing scene discovered by officers, a judge imposed a temporary restraining order to prevent further release of police records.

Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin
Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin

Idaho Second District Judge Marshall halted the city from releasing any images, audio, or video showing inside Mogen’s bedroom until a full hearing on the injunction. 

The judge found that “major portions” of what was released did not constitute an unwarranted invasion of privacy. But he said portions of videos and photographs in their redacted form, specifically unreleased bodycam video, could be an unwarranted invasion of privacy.

The city said that though the restraining order only applies to Mogen’s bedroom, it wouldn’t release photos or videos showing inside any of the victims’ bedrooms until the matter was decided by the court.

‘s Brittany Donovan contributed to this story.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Trader Joe’s Set to Open First Melbourne Location This December, Company Announces

MELBOURNE, Fla. – The eagerly awaited Trader Joe’s store in Central Florida…

Heartfelt Farewell: Motorcade Honors Fallen National Guard Member Tragically Shot in Washington D.C.

On Thursday evening, a solemn procession departed from Medstar Washington Medical Center,…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Post-Thanksgiving Travel Alert: Snow, Rain, and Cold Weather Set to Impact Journeys

As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend continues, travelers should brace themselves for a…

Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reveals Additional Artists for Its 2026 ’25 Artists for 25 Years’ Celebration

The Birthplace of Country Music has unveiled the first 25 artists set…

Ex-CIA Employee from Afghanistan Commits Shooting in DC After Cross-Country Drive

Rahmanaullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old who once served with an agency in Afghanistan,…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Unexploded Grenade Found in Orlando Community, Fire Department Reports

ORLANDO, Fla. – Fire department crews discovered a grenade while responding to…

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…

Jonesborough Illuminates the Season with Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

The heart of Tennessee’s oldest town, Jonesborough, sprang to life as the…

Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…