Blockade protest strands hundreds of cargo trucks on highway to US border


Highway Blockage Leaves Hundreds of Cargo Trucks Stuck Near US Border

SAN DIEGO (Border Report) — Baja’s Transpeninsular Highway reopened Wednesday night after protesters used tree trunks, branches and a car to block traffic for about two days.

Residents in the small town about 200 miles south of the U.S.-Mexico border said they were upset with the state government for cutting back on resources and programs for their local schools. Starting Monday night, they stopped all vehicles, including hundreds of U.S.-bound tractor-trailers loaded with merchandise and tons of perishable freight.

“As of Wednesday evening, I understand that at least 360 trucks had been affected,” said Israel Delgado Vallejo, vice president of the Northwest Chapter of the Chamber of Freight Transportation. “It’s near the town of San Quintin, all these trucks were bound for the Otay Mesa (Calif.) Port of Entry and north.”

Delgado Vallejo said he sympathizes with the protesters, but warned that most of the trucks are hauling fresh produce and sea food with short shelf lives.

“Most of these materials are agricultural in nature or from the ocean,” he said. “Most are transported at night so they reach the border and cross early. This could affect the quality of the products being hauled to the U.S.”

By Wednesday evening, the protesters began allowing some vehicles and trucks to get through before state officials met with the disgruntled residents and negotiated an end to the blockade.

State police said the highway reopened to all traffic about 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Delgado Vallejo said members of Mexico’s National Guard have moved to the area to make sure the highway remains open.

The protesters promised to return if necessary.

Baja’s Transpeninsular Highway runs from the border city of Tijuana in Northern Baja to Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur.

You May Also Like

Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak

BUNIA – Congo has taken delivery of more than 16,000 doses of…

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. – A razor-thin Republican primary contest for Florida’s Congressional…

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…