Share this @internewscast.com

Staff report
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Darius Trevion Campbell, 27, was arrested yesterday and charged with sexual battery after a former girlfriend said he forced himself on her while they were hanging out.
The victim previously dated Campbell but broke up with him more than five years ago; they speak to each other periodically, and the victim picked Campbell up on Monday to run some errands before going back to her apartment.
The victim said there was no indication that her time with Campbell would be anything other than platonic, and she and Campbell were sitting on separate couches when Campbell suddenly pulled her toward him and started removing her clothing. She said she told him to stop, but he sexually battered her over her objections.
The victim said she pleaded with him to leave her apartment after the sexual battery, but he refused and instead kept asking her whether the sexual encounter was “terrible.” The victim recorded part of the conversation, and a Gainesville Police Department detective reported that Campbell repeatedly asked her to “be honest” and tell him “was it that terrible?”
The victim reportedly said he knew she didn’t want to have sex with him, and Campbell reportedly asked again if it was terrible: “Like, did you enjoy any of it?” When she continued to say she had not wanted it to happen, he said she was “stuck on” saying she didn’t want it.
After about half an hour, he became concerned that she was contacting someone about the sexual battery and said he would leave if she gave him a ride; she said she gave him a ride to get him out of her house.
Campbell has been charged with sexual battery on an adult victim. He has seven felony convictions (one violent) and one misdemeanor conviction. He was arrested in July 2024 for cutting a man with a knife and prosecutors asked a judge to hold him without bail until trial, but Judge David Kreider denied the motion and set bail at $150,000; the charge was dropped about two weeks later.
Campbell was arrested again in September 2024 on a warrant for hitting a man with a shovel at a construction site; Judge James Colaw denied a motion to hold him without bail and set bail at $75,000, and after Campbell’s attorney filed a motion to reduce bond, Judge David Kreider reduced the bond to $20,000 and Campbell was released on bail in January. Campbell’s address is listed as GRACE Marketplace, but his lawyer stated in a 2024 court document that he would live in a home near Fred Cone Park if he was released on bail.
Judge Meshon Rawls ordered Campbell held without bail, pending a hearing on a motion from the State Attorney’s office to hold him without bail until trial.
Articles about arrests are based on reports from law enforcement agencies. The charges listed are taken from the arrest report and/or court records and are only accusations. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.