Jimmy Kimmel returning to ABC Tuesday
Share this @internewscast.com

NEW YORK (AP) — ABC has decided to bring back Jimmy Kimmel’s late-night show following criticism over his remarks regarding the assassination of conservative activist Charlie Kirk, the network announced on Monday.

“After engaging in deep and thoughtful discussions with Jimmy, we concluded that resuming the show on Tuesday was the appropriate decision,” a network statement revealed.

Kimmel faced an indefinite suspension from ABC due to his comments in a monologue about Kirk, who was killed on September 10. During the segment, Kimmel remarked, “many in MAGA land are working very hard to capitalize on the murder of Charlie Kirk,” and referred to “the MAGA gang” as “desperately trying to characterize this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them.”

Kimmel has been hosting “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” on ABC since 2003 and is a longstanding figure in television and comedy. He is also renowned as an awards show host, having emceed the Oscars four times.

The reaction to Kimmel’s comments about Kirk was immediate. Nexstar and Sinclair, two major owners of ABC affiliates, announced they would cease airing “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” on their stations. However, several fellow comedians and others defended him.

Former President Donald Trump, who Kimmel frequently critiques, mentioned online that Kimmel’s suspension was “great news for America” and suggested other late-night hosts should also be dismissed.

Kimmel was asked in an interview with Variety this past summer if he was worried that the administration would come after comedians. He expressed concern that a crackdown could be on the way.

“Well, you’d have to be naive not to worry a little bit,” he said. “But that can’t change what you’re doing.”

Kimmel’s suspension arrived in a time when Trump and his administration have pursued threats, lawsuits and federal government pressure to try to exert more control over the media industry. Trump has reached settlements with ABC and CBS over their coverage.

Trump has also filed defamation lawsuits against The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times. Republicans in Congress stripped federal funding from NPR and PBS.

Brendan Carr, the head of the Federal Communications Commission, issued a warning prior to Kimmel’s suspension that criticized Kimmel’s remarks about the Kirk assassination.

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way,” Carr said. “These companies can find ways to change conduct, to take action, frankly, on Kimmel, or there is going to be additional work for the FCC ahead.”

The suspension also happened at a time when the late night landscape is shifting. CBS announced the cancellation of Stephen Colbert’s show over the summer

Kimmel’s contract with The Walt Disney Co.-owned network had been set to expire in May 2026.

Word of the reinstatement came as hundreds of Hollywood and Broadway stars — including Robert De Niro, Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Selena Gomez, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep — urged Americans “fight to defend and preserve our constitutionally protected rights” in the wake of Jimmy Kimmel’s suspension.

More than 430 movie, TV and stage stars as well as comedians, directors and writers added their names to an open letter Monday from the American Civil Liberties Union that argues it is “a dark moment for freedom of speech in our nation.”

Also Monday, ABC’s “The View” weighed in on the controversy after not raising it for two episodes after Kimmel was suspended. Co-host Whoopi Goldberg opened the show saying: “No one silences us” and she and her fellow hosts condemned Disney’s decision.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Vols Stunned by Vanderbilt in First Defeat Since 2018

The Tennessee Volunteers concluded their regular season in traditional fashion by facing…

Trump’s Surprising Pardon of Ex-Honduran President Hernández Could Reshape U.S. Election Dynamics

TEGUCIGALPA – As Honduras gears up to elect its next president, the…

Union High School Triumphs in Playoffs with Strong Community Backing

WISE COUNTY, Va. (WJHL) – Enthusiasm filled the air at Phil Robbins…

Experience the Magic: Johnson City’s Candyland Christmas Trees Illuminate the Holiday Season

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (WJHL) — On Saturday evening, the heart of Johnson…

Revitalize Your Community: How Small Business Saturday Empowers Local Shops and Drives Sales

In Johnson City, Tennessee, enthusiastic shoppers faced chilly temperatures on Saturday to…

Survey Reveals Teenagers’ Growing Disinterest in Traditional News Media

NEW YORK – From a young age, Cat Murphy had a clear…

Renowned British Playwright and Oscar Winner Tom Stoppard Passes Away at 88

LONDON – Celebrated British playwright Tom Stoppard, renowned for his witty and…

Pope Concludes Turkey Visit, Sets Sights on Beirut to Inspire Hope Amid Lebanon’s Ongoing Challenges

ISTANBUL – Concluding his visit to Turkey, Pope Leo XIV is now…

Texas Congressman Troy Nehls Announces Retirement Plans for 2026

In a recent announcement, Republican U.S. Representative Troy Nehls from Texas revealed…

Gaza Ministry Reports Over 70,000 Palestinian Lives Lost in Ongoing Israel-Hamas Conflict

DEIR EL-BALAH – As the conflict between Israel and Hamas continues, the…

Trump Calls for Closure of Venezuelan Airspace Amid Tensions: Maduro Decries ‘Colonial Threat

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – On Saturday, President Donald Trump declared that…

Community Concerns Grow as National Guard Attack Suspect Battled ‘Dark Isolation

The Afghan national accused of the recent shooting of two National Guard…