Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Judge and Lawmakers Challenge Trump’s Proposal to Shut Down Job Corps Centers
  • Local news

Judge and Lawmakers Challenge Trump’s Proposal to Shut Down Job Corps Centers

    Judge and lawmakers question the Trump administration's plan to gut Job Corps centers
    Up next
    Billions wiped from Tesla as share prices plummet after Elon Musk explosively links Trump to Epstein files
    Tesla’s Market Value Drops Sharply After Elon Musk Controversially Associates Trump with Epstein Documents
    Published on 05 June 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • administration039s,
    • and,
    • Andrew Carter,
    • Barack Obama,
    • Bobby Scott,
    • Business,
    • centers,
    • Corps,
    • Donald Trump,
    • gut,
    • Job,
    • judge,
    • lawmakers,
    • Lori Chavez-DeRemer,
    • plan,
    • Question,
    • Seth Harris,
    • The,
    • Trump,
    • U.S. news,
    • Washington news
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest

    Members of Congress and a federal judge are expressing concern over the Trump administration’s proposal to close Job Corps centers across the country. This plan also includes ending a residential career training program aimed at supporting low-income youth, which has been in place for over 50 years.

    The Department of Labor recently declared a nationwide “pause of operations” for numerous Job Corps centers managed by private contractors. This decision followed an internal review indicating that the program was both expensive and ineffective in terms of success rates.

    The review also highlighted safety concerns at the residential campuses. Consequently, the Department of Labor announced plans to relocate students and staff from these locations by June 30.

    The program was designed for teenagers and young adults who struggled to finish high school in traditional school settings and then go on to obtain training and find jobs. Participants received tuition-free housing, meals and health care.

    Critics have argued that closing the campuses would leave young people homeless and deprive them of opportunities and hope. They also maintained the Trump administration did not have legal authority to suspend Job Corps because it was created by Congress.

    Lawmakers asked Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer about the decision when she appeared before the House Education and Workforce Committee on Thursday.

    “Job Corps, which you know has bipartisan support in Congress, trains young, low-income people, and helps them find good-paying jobs and provides housing for a population that might otherwise be without a home,” U.S. Rep. Bobby Scott said.

    Scott, a Virginia Democrat, read from a letter Chavez-DeRemer wrote in support of Job Corps last year. The letter said the program increased participants’ employment and wages, and decreased their reliance on public benefits.

    “You’ve made a starkly abrupt shift from a champion to a destroyer of this important program,” said Democratic Rep. Suzanne Bonamici of Oregon, adding that students in her district were distraught.

    In response, Chavez-DeRemer said she recognized that only an act of Congress could eliminate Job Corps. She said the Labor Department had instead used its authority to halt the program’s operations but planned to comply with a federal court order that temporarily blocked the action.

    U.S. District Judge Andrew Carter of New York issued a temporary restraining order on Wednesday that prohibited the Labor Department from terminating jobs, removing students from the 99 contractor-run centers or eliminating the Job Corps program without congressional authorization.

    The order was sought as part of a lawsuit filed Tuesday by the National Job Corps Association, a trade group which includes business, labor, volunteer and community organizations. The group alleged the Labor Department’s decision would have disastrous consequences, including displacing tens of thousands of vulnerable young people and forcing mass layoffs.

    During Thursday’s House committee hearing, Scott asked several Job Corps students in attendance to stand.

    “These students were on their way to getting a good job and earning a living wage. On behalf of them, I urge you to immediately reverse the decision to effectively shut down all Job Corps centers,” Scott said.

    Chavez-DeRemer responded that the Trump administration wanted to eliminate ineffective training interventions. The report released in April by the Labor Department’s Employment and Training Administration said Job Corps operated at a $140 million deficit during the last fiscal year and had an average graduation rate of under 39%.

    “Our recently released Job Corps transparency report showed that in 2023 alone, more than 14,000 serious incidents were reported at the Job Corps centers, including cases of sexual assault, physical violence, and drug use,” Chavez-DeRemer said. “This program is failing to deliver safe and successful outcomes our young people deserve.”

    The National Job Corps Association maintained the statistics were misleading. It said the 14,000 serious incidents included power outages, inclement weather, athletic injuries that required treatment and adult students leaving campus without prior approva.

    The group also said that Job Corps’ graduation rates have historically been above 60%, but were depressed by COVID-19 policies during the year the Labor Department reviewed.

    Seth Harris, senior fellow at the Burnes Center for Social Change at Northeastern University, said in an interview that Job Corps is wildly popular on Capitol Hill. He recalled having to slow down Job Corps due to funding challenges when he served as acting secretary of labor during former President Barack Obama’s administration.

    “I got angry calls from elected members of the House and Senate on both sides of the aisle,” Harris said.

    The Job Corps program was designed to help young people who were not succeeding in school or who had left school without a place to go, placing them in a residential setting outside their community and providing them with vocational training, he said.

    The Labor Department shutting down Job Corps would be illegal because there’s a process outlined for closing down the centers which includes publishing performance data, justifying the closure and allowing time for public comment and remediation, he said.

    “This is plainly illegal,” Harris said. “But it is entirely on brand for Donald Trump to beat up on poor kids, largely kids of color, who are trying to make their lives better.”

    Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like

    Experience the Magic: Johnson City’s Candyland Christmas Trees Illuminate the Holiday Season

    JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (WJHL) — On Saturday evening, the heart of Johnson…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025

    FC Alliance North Girls Triumph in State Championship Victory

    A team from the FC Alliance North soccer club recently returned to…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    A lost generation of news consumers? Survey shows how teenagers dislike the news media
    • Local news

    Survey Reveals Teenagers’ Growing Disinterest in Traditional News Media

    NEW YORK – From a young age, Cat Murphy had a clear…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Trump says Venezuelan airspace should be viewed as closed. Maduro government slams 'colonial threat'
    • Local news

    Trump Calls for Closure of Venezuelan Airspace Amid Tensions: Maduro Decries ‘Colonial Threat

    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – On Saturday, President Donald Trump declared that…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025

    Union High School Triumphs in Playoffs with Strong Community Backing

    WISE COUNTY, Va. (WJHL) – Enthusiasm filled the air at Phil Robbins…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Why doing good also makes us feel good, during the holidays and beyond
    • Local news

    Unwrapping Joy: How Acts of Kindness Boost Wellbeing During the Holidays and Year-Round

    WASHINGTON – As the holiday season approaches, it’s not only a time…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Republican U.S. Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas says he will retire in 2026
    • Local news

    Texas Congressman Troy Nehls Announces Retirement Plans for 2026

    In a recent announcement, Republican U.S. Representative Troy Nehls from Texas revealed…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025

    Revitalize Your Community: How Small Business Saturday Empowers Local Shops and Drives Sales

    In Johnson City, Tennessee, enthusiastic shoppers faced chilly temperatures on Saturday to…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025

    Vols Stunned by Vanderbilt in First Defeat Since 2018

    The Tennessee Volunteers concluded their regular season in traditional fashion by facing…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    British playwright Tom Stoppard, who won Academy Award for 'Shakespeare In Love,' has died at 88
    • Local news

    Renowned British Playwright and Oscar Winner Tom Stoppard Passes Away at 88

    LONDON – Celebrated British playwright Tom Stoppard, renowned for his witty and…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    Trump’s pardon of ex-Honduran president Hernández injects wild card into election
    • Local news

    Trump’s Surprising Pardon of Ex-Honduran President Hernández Could Reshape U.S. Election Dynamics

    TEGUCIGALPA – As Honduras gears up to elect its next president, the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    Venezuelan leader Maduro may seem desperate. But his loyalty vs punishment strategy is hard to crack
    • Local news

    Venezuelan President Maduro’s Complex Strategy: Balancing Loyalty and Punishment

    CARACAS – In a surprising twist of attitude, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro,…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Nicole Kidman 's views on marriage have been revealed in a resurfaced interview. Kidman filed for divorce from her second husband, Keith Urban, 58, in September, citing irreconcilable differences. Pictured together
    • AU

    Resurfaced Interview Reveals Nicole Kidman’s Emotional Insights on Divorce Amid Keith Urban Separation Rumors

    Insights into Nicole Kidman’s perspective on marriage have come to light through…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu submits request for a pardon during his ongoing corruption trial
    • US

    Netanyahu’s Bold Move: Seeks Presidential Pardon Amidst Intensifying Corruption Trial

    In a bold move, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has approached the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Study finds century-old medicine 'helps manage type 1 diabetes'
    • Health

    Groundbreaking Research Reveals Century-Old Drug Effectively Manages Type 1 Diabetes

    A century-old, affordable medication could offer new hope for individuals living with…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Netanyahu begs Israeli president to grant him a pardon during trial
    • News

    Netanyahu’s Bold Request: Seeking Presidential Pardon Amidst High-Stakes Trial

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has officially requested a pardon from the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.