Share this @internewscast.com
![]()
CHICAGO – On Tuesday, the process of selecting a jury commenced for the trial of a man accused of placing a $10,000 bounty on the head of a Border Patrol commander involved in last year’s immigration crackdown in Chicago.
Juan Espinoza Martinez, aged 37, is charged with murder-for-hire. Federal prosecutors claim he is a “ranking member” of the Latin Kings gang, who allegedly offered money for the assassination of Gregory Bovino. Bovino has played a prominent role in the Trump administration’s aggressive immigration policies, impacting states like California, North Carolina, and Minnesota.
This trial marks the first criminal proceedings related to the crackdown in Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city. Both Bovino and the Trump administration have cited this case as evidence of the heightened threats faced by federal agents.
However, several federal lawsuits have cast doubt on the Trump administration’s portrayal of the Chicago operation. Of the approximately 30 criminal cases resulting from Operation Midway Blitz, about half have seen charges dismissed or dropped. In a significant lawsuit, a federal judge determined that Bovino lied under oath, including false claims about gang threats, during depositions.
As Espinoza Martinez’s trial approached, prosecutors conceded that they lacked proof of gang affiliations, prompting U.S. Judge Joan Lefkow to prohibit any questioning regarding the Latin Kings.
Espinoza Martinez, who has entered a plea of not guilty, appeared in court wearing a dark suit and tie, paying close attention to the proceedings. He has been held in federal custody since his arrest in October.
Born in Mexico, he’s lived in the U.S. for more than 30 years. He does not have legal permission to stay in the United States.
His family and attorneys say he is not in a gang. The father of three worked as a carpenter.
“The evidence on Mr. Martinez’s intent is so weak,” defense attorney Jonathan Bedi told the judge before jurors were brought in.
Prosecutors allege Espinoza Martinez sent a Snapchat message in October to other gang members that read in part “10k if u take him down,” along with a picture of Bovino. He also allegedly offered $2,000 for information about the commander. The criminal complaint cites an anonymous source who accused Espinoza Martinez of being a “ranking member of the Latin Kings.”
The trial is expected to last a few days and feature testimony from federal agents along with excerpts of a video-taped interview Espinoza Martinez gave to authorities after arrest. Bovino is not expected to testify.
If convicted, Espinoza Martinez faces up to 10 years in prison.
“Putting a price on the life of a law enforcement officer is a line that can never be crossed,” U.S. Attorney Andrew Boutros said in an October statement announcing the charges.
Scrutiny on agents’ use of force has followed operations in Los Angeles, Chicago, New Orleans, and currently in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. The arrests by armed and masked agents have led to to numerous protests and intense standoffs in each region.
In the Chicago area, more than 4,300 people were arrested for alleged immigration violations in the crackdown that began in September. Bovino has signaled immigration operations in Chicago will ramp up again in the coming months.
Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.