McMahon rejects 'misconception' of federal funding losses if Education Department heads back to states

McMahon Denies Myth of Federal Funding Cuts if Education Department Returns Control to States

Education Secretary Linda McMahon on Sunday addressed what she described as a “misconception” regarding potential federal funding losses if her department is scaled back at the federal level, as proposed by the Trump administration.

“There seems to be a misunderstanding that federal funding will disappear if the Department of Education transfers more responsibilities to the states. Title I funding, which is allocated by Congress, will persist and this covers a significant portion of the concerns you are mentioning. Additionally, IDEA [the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act], which provides financial support for children with special needs, will not be impacted,” McMahon explained to Chris Stirewalt on “The Hill Sunday.”

“Right,” Stirewalt said.

“This funding is secure and states shouldn’t worry about it being interrupted. In fact, the focus will shift to encouraging states that are innovative and creative to maintain and expand their initiatives,” the Education Secretary continued.

In July, President Trump announced that McMahon would begin the process of dismantling the Education Department following a Supreme Court decision allowing the administration to proceed with this plan.

“The United States Supreme Court has delivered a significant victory to parents and students nationwide by allowing the Trump Administration to advance in transferring the Education Department’s functions back to the states. With this crucial Supreme Court decision, our Secretary of Education, Linda McMahon, can now initiate this essential process,” Trump stated previously on Truth Social.

Only Congress has the authority to completely eliminate the Education Department, which has multiple functions that are mandated by law.

You May Also Like

Trump Blames Vandals for Damaged Grass at Site of His July 4 Celebration

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Sunday that vandals were responsible for…

Zimbabwe Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 84 as 12 More Bodies Are Recovered

HARARE – Rescue teams in Zimbabwe continued searching Lake Kariba on Sunday…

Ben Gvir Tells Ex-Hostage Israel Should Kill 30-40 Gazans Nightly

JERUSALEM – A far-right Israeli lawmaker serving in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s…

Mexico Avocado Exports to US Resume as Pickers Fear Violence

SANTA ANA ZIROSTO – Mexican avocado picker Francisco Isidro wasted little time…