Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news National Guard to Enhance New Year’s Safety in New Orleans Following Last Year’s Tragedy
  • Local news

National Guard to Enhance New Year’s Safety in New Orleans Following Last Year’s Tragedy

    National Guard to patrol New Orleans for New Year's a year after deadly attack
    Up next
    Ukraine Refutes Claims of Attacking Putin’s Residence, Labels Allegations as ‘False’ Amid Peace Negotiations
    Published on 30 December 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • After,
    • attack,
    • deadly,
    • Donald Trump,
    • for,
    • guard,
    • Jeff Landry,
    • National,
    • New,
    • Noel Collins,
    • ORLEANS,
    • patrol,
    • Reese Harper,
    • shamsud-din jabbar,
    • U.S. news,
    • year,
    • year039s
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest


    NEW ORLEANS – In the wake of a tragic attack on Bourbon Street that took 14 lives last year, President Donald Trump has approved the deployment of the National Guard to New Orleans. The troops will be on the ground starting Tuesday, enhancing security measures for the upcoming New Year’s festivities, officials announced on Monday.

    This deployment is part of a series of high-profile National Guard missions authorized by the Trump administration throughout the year, which have also taken place in cities such as Washington and Memphis, Tennessee. For New Orleans, however, the presence of National Guard troops has become a familiar sight, as they have previously assisted in securing events like the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras earlier this year.

    “It’s no different than what we’ve seen in the past,” stated Reese Harper, spokesperson for the New Orleans Police Department.

    In addition to the National Guard, federal law enforcement agencies have been conducting an immigration crackdown in the city since the beginning of the month, resulting in the arrest of several hundred individuals.

    Harper emphasized that the National Guard’s role is strictly limited to security and will not involve any immigration enforcement activities.

    “Their presence is intended for visibility and to ensure the safety of our citizens,” Harper explained. “It’s simply another resource and an additional layer of protection.”

    The Guard is expected be confined to the French Quarter area popular with tourists and won’t be engaging in assisting in immigration enforcement, Harper said. Guardsmen will operate similar to earlier this year when they patrolled the area around Bourbon Street following the vehicle-ramming attack on Jan. 1.

    The 350 Guard members will stay through Carnival season, when residents and tourists descend on the Big Easy to partake in costumed celebrations and massive parades before ending with Mardi Gras in mid-February.

    Louisiana National Guard spokesperson Lt. Col. Noel Collins said in a written statement that the Guard will support local, state, and federal law enforcement “to enhance capabilities, stabilize the environment, assist in reducing crime, and restoring public trust.”

    In total, more than 800 local, state and federal law enforcement officials will be deployed in New Orleans to close off Bourbon Street to vehicular traffic, patrol the area, conduct bag searches and redirect traffic, city officials said during a news conference Monday.

    The extra aid for New Orleans has received the support of some Democrats, with Mayor LaToya Cantrell saying she is “welcoming of those added resources.”

    The increased law enforcement presence comes a year after Shamsud-Din Jabbar drove around a police blockade in the early hours of Jan. 1 and raced down Bourbon Street, plowing into people celebrating New Year’s Day. The attacker, a U.S. citizen and Army veteran who had proclaimed his support for the Islamic State militant group on social media, was fatally shot by police after crashing. After an expansive search, law enforcement located multiple bombs in coolers placed around the French Quarter. None of the explosive devices detonated.

    In the immediate aftermath of the attack, 100 National Guard members were sent to the city.

    In September, Gov. Jeff Landry asked Trump to send 1,000 troops to Louisiana cities, citing concerns about crime. Democrats pushed back, specifically leaders in New Orleans who said a deployment was unwarranted. They argued that the city has actually seen a dramatic decrease in violent crime rates in recent years.

    ———

    Cline reported from Baton Rouge.

    Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like

    Bethel Christian Church Nourishes Community with Food and Joyful Spirit

    JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. — In a heartwarming gesture of community support, Bethel…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Display of St. Francis of Assisi's bones confirms enduring appeal of relics for Christians
    • Local news

    St. Francis of Assisi’s Relics Draw Devout Crowds: A Testament to Timeless Christian Fascination

    ASSISI – For the first time in history, the skeletal remains of…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    President Trump wants to impose 15% tariff, up from 10% he announced after Supreme Court decision
    • Local news

    Trump Proposes Steeper 15% Tariff Hike Post-Supreme Court Ruling: Economic Implications Unveiled

    WASHINGTON – In a surprising turn of events, President Donald Trump announced…
    • Internewscast
    • February 21, 2026

    Elizabethton Resident Establishes Park in Memory of Late Daughter

    ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. (WJHL) – In a heartfelt tribute to his late daughter,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    A policy wonk who wants Nancy Pelosi's House seat is unafraid of a fight
    • Local news

    Policy Expert Eagerly Contends for Nancy Pelosi’s House Seat

    SAN FRANCISCO – California state legislator Scott Wiener, who is anticipated to…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    NYC nursing walkout ends as last striking nurses approve new contract
    • Local news

    Historic NYC Nursing Strike Ends: New Contract Promises Better Conditions and Care

    NEW YORK – A significant nursing strike has concluded as nurses at…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Stars descend on the BAFTA film awards, with 'One Battle' and 'Sinners' leading the race
    • Local news

    BAFTA Buzz: ‘One Battle’ and ‘Sinners’ Dominate the Spotlight as Stars Shine Bright

    LONDON – TO BE UPDATED AT 0500GMT SUNDAY The riveting political thriller…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Brazil and India agree to boost cooperation on rare earths
    • Local news

    Brazil and India Forge Strategic Partnership to Enhance Collaboration on Rare Earth Elements

    SAO PAULO – On Saturday, Brazil and India reached an important agreement…
    • Internewscast
    • February 21, 2026
    Danish military evacuates US submariner in need of urgent medical care off Greenland
    • US

    Dramatic Rescue: Danish Forces Airlift U.S. Submariner for Immediate Medical Aid Near Greenland

    In an urgent medical situation off the coast of Greenland, Danish military…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    'Too big a step': Appellate panel nixes lower court's restrictions on how ICE agents treat protesters in Minnesota
    • Crime

    Judge Condemns ICE for Defying Court Orders: Demands Immediate Release of Unlawfully Detained Immigrant

    Inset: President Donald Trump walks from Marine One after arriving on the…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Cliff Drysdale Net Worth
    • Celeb Zone

    Exploring Michael Wolff’s Financial Portfolio and Estimated Net Worth

    What is Michael Wolff’s Net Worth? Michael Wolff, an American journalist, author,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Unmarked police arrive at Royal Lodge as probe into Andrew continues
    • News

    Undercover Police Visit Royal Lodge Amid Ongoing Investigation into Prince Andrew

    For the fourth consecutive day, unmarked police vehicles arrived at Royal Lodge…
    • Internewscast
    • February 22, 2026
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.