Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Orlando’s 407 CONNECT Fleet Grows: More Room for Passengers
  • Local news

Orlando’s 407 CONNECT Fleet Grows: More Room for Passengers

    Room for one more: Orlando’s 407 CONNECT fleet expands
    Up next
    The Democratic Party's fight over generational change flares in Arizona
    Arizona Becomes the Battleground for Generational Shift in the Democratic Party
    Published on 14 July 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • 407 Connect,
    • Brevard County,
    • Connect,
    • expands,
    • fleet,
    • Florida,
    • for,
    • homeless,
    • Homeless Bus,
    • homelessness,
    • Indian River County,
    • more,
    • one,
    • orange county,
    • Orlandos,
    • room
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest

    VERO BEACH, Fla. – And then there were two.

    A second 407 CONNECT bus, crafted to offer safe overnight accommodation for Orlando’s homeless community, is nearly ready and is expected to be operational within the upcoming months.

    The city of Orlando, the Community Redevelopment Agency (downtown Orlando), and the Christian Service Center for the Homeless have collaborated to acquire and manage the two buses as mobile sleeping shelters for individuals without homes. The first 407 CONNECT bus, highlighted in an exclusive feature by News 6 earlier this month, reached its final construction phase in early July.

    “The goal for starting service remains this summer,” stated Bryan Hampton, director of development and communications for the Christian Service Center for the homeless. “The city is planning a ribbon-cutting ceremony on August 20 at City Hall.”

    The idea for 407 CONNECT was brought up before the city council earlier this year, just weeks after Orlando abandoned plans to open a large shelter in the SoDo district. Mayor Buddy Dyer stated that the previous location, a vacant space in Orange County’s Work Release Center on West Kaley Street, was not feasible.

    The two buses are modeled after the Dignity Buses pioneered by the nonprofit ministry The Source of Vero Beach. In addition to building the Orlando-bound buses, The Source has been running its own homeless sleep shelter program since March 2021, the first of its kind in the U.S.

    “For training, we are working closely with The Source to watch how they do their onboarding in the evenings and off-boarding in the morning,” Hampton told us. “We have lots of questions: Showers? Towels? Sheets and laundry? Slippers? How many pet kennels? It’s an ever-growing list,” Hampton added. “The training process will be pretty intensive – we are looking for best practices from The Source.”

    Christian Service Center members have already been to Vero Beach to shadow staff members from The Source.

    “We are the only ones in the country who build out buses for this specific use,” said Tony Zorbaugh, executive director and CEO of The Source. “The Orlando project will be the fourth time we’ve deployed buses outside of Vero Beach.”

    Over the last four years, The Source has built five sleep buses: three operate in Vero Beach (one of those three used to be in Palm Bay), one services Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and one more, nicknamed The Night Fort, is operating in Bourbonnais, Illinois (Kankakee County just outside of Chicago). The two Orlando buses will be the sixth and seventh buses built by the nonprofit.

    “The interiors are stripped, and the sleeping pods are then fabricated by people who are part of the Source’s family who themselves were once homeless or in need of our services,” Zorbaugh told News 6.

    Both 407 CONNECT buses will feature 10 bunk sleeping pods on each side (20 in all) with a 21st spot at the back of the bus that is handicap accessible. With the two buses in operation, up to 42 people could be provided with a safe place to sleep each night. The cost to purchase each bus was $175,000, with annual operating expenses estimated at about $1 million.

    Orlando’s buses are 45-foot 2006 VDL Van Hool C2045 motor coaches bought with funds from the 2021 American Rescue Plan Act that were purchased using part of the program’s $3.44 million allocation.

    “We have a three-year budget,” Hampton said. “$1,359,330 for the first year, $1,026,172 for the second year, and $1,056,995 for the last year.”

    But those million-dollar yearly budgets will do more than put buses on the streets.

    “Aside from the initial outlay for the buses, the largest expense of the program is the case management side,” Hampton said. “Getting people into an affordable place to live – providing help with a security deposit or another up front expense – that eats up a lot of our budget for this project. At the end of the day, there really are very few affordable places to live in Orlando for people we are helping. The real cost of the program is the case management piece. All of this takes time and money.”

    Hampton told News 6 that the first step on the case management side was to hire a program manager to oversee and run the program. That new manager, Jaylyn Graham, works along with Carla Cox, director of operations for the CSC. Rounding out the team: four case managers for day-to-day operations.

    “We will qualify the candidates through the case managers,” said Hampton. “It could be a single mom, a young couple, a veteran. The case managers are going to qualify people who have the likelihood of getting back on their feet with a little bit of assistance.”

    Hampton said that anyone can stay on the bus as long as they need to: “It could be a couple of days or a couple of months. Every case will be different.”

    Copyright 2025 by WKMG ClickOrlando – All rights reserved.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like

    Tragic Update: Juvenile Suspect Sought as Shooting Victim Succumbs, Murder Charges Filed

    In a tragic turn of events in Kingsport, Tennessee, the youth involved…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Nancy Guthrie kidnapping investigators work with Walmart after identifying suspect’s backpack
    • Local news

    Investigators Collaborate with Walmart After Identifying Suspect’s Backpack in Nancy Guthrie Kidnapping Case

    In a new development in the case of Savannah Guthrie’s missing mother,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    ‘Great job saving a life!’ Volusia deputy rescues woman from DeLand house fire
    • Local news

    Heroic Volusia Deputy Saves Woman from DeLand House Fire: A Life-Saving Act of Bravery

    DeLAND, Fla. – In a dramatic rescue caught on bodycam footage, a…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026

    Experience Cinematic Magic and Captivating Live Performances at Jackson Theatre This Month!

    In the historic town of Jonesborough, Tennessee, the Jackson Theatre is reviving…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Bartow High School teacher arrested after backyard debris burn causes 5-acre brush fire: sheriff
    • Local news

    Teacher’s Backyard Debris Burn Ignites 5-Acre Brush Fire: Bartow High School Educator Arrested, Sheriff Reports

    Related coverage: Driver captures Polk County brush fire on video BARTOW, Fla.…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026

    Two Middle Tennessee Entrepreneurs Among Four Victims in Colorado Plane Crash

    Authorities have confirmed the identities of the four victims who perished when…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    Australia won't repatriate 34 women and children from Syria
    • Local news

    Australia Decides Against Repatriating 34 Women and Children from Syrian Conflict Zone

    MELBOURNE – Prime Minister Anthony Albanese announced on Tuesday that Australia will…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026

    Breaking News: Travis Turner’s Departure from Wise County Public Schools – What Led to the Termination?

    In Wise County, Virginia, the Union High School football coach, Travis Turner,…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Grok faces more scrutiny over deepfakes as Irish regulator opens EU privacy investigation
    • Local news

    Irish Regulator Launches EU Privacy Investigation into Grok’s Deepfake Practices Amid Heightened Scrutiny

    LONDON – The European Union has launched a privacy investigation into Elon…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    4 juveniles injured in shooting in Orlando’s Parramore neighborhood, police say
    • Local news

    Four Young Victims Hurt in Parramore Neighborhood Shooting, Police Report

    ORLANDO, Fla. – A shooting incident near downtown Orlando on Sunday afternoon…
    • Internewscast
    • February 16, 2026
    US and Iran to hold a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva
    • Local news

    US-Iran Nuclear Negotiations: Geneva Hosts Crucial Second Round Talks

    In the scenic city of Geneva, the United States and Iran are…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    100 US troops land in Nigeria as Islamic militants threaten West Africa regional security
    • US

    100 US Troops Arrive in Nigeria Amid Rising Threats from Islamic Militants in West Africa

    Approximately 100 U.S. military personnel and equipment have arrived in Nigeria as…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    ICE Chicago news: Lewis University learns ICE agents could work in same Oak Brook, IL building, moves classes to online learning
    • US

    Lewis University Transitions to Online Classes Amid Potential ICE Agent Presence in Shared Oak Brook, IL Facility

    OAK BROOK, Ill. (WLS) — A suburban university has decided to transition…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Vain mother pleads guilty after she left her son to die in a hot car
    • News

    Negligent Mother Admits Guilt in Tragic Hot Car Death of Young Son: A Heartbreaking Tale of Vanity and Loss

    A California mother, driven by vanity, has accepted a plea deal after…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Eurovision 2026's UK act is revealed amid boycott fears
    • News

    UK Unveils Eurovision 2026 Performer Despite Rising Boycott Concerns

    The representative for the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest 2026 has…
    • Internewscast
    • February 17, 2026
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.