Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Paramount Comics, Colbert, and Stewart Offer Sharp Critiques of the ’60 Minutes’ Agreement
  • Local news

Paramount Comics, Colbert, and Stewart Offer Sharp Critiques of the ’60 Minutes’ Agreement

  • 3 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
The Paramount comics, Colbert and Stewart, are sharp critics of the '60 Minutes' deal

Up next

Camp Mystic Recreation Hall damaged by flood.

Heartbreaking Story of How a 9-Year-Old Camp Mystic Victim Was Identified After Floods, Revealing Her Bravery

Published on 15 July 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

Paramount Comics, Colbert, and Stewart Offer Sharp Critiques of the '60 Minutes' Agreement

NEW YORK – This isn’t a joke. They’ve made that clear.

CBS “Late Show” presenter Stephen Colbert criticized Paramount Global, the channel’s parent company, for resolving a lawsuit filed by former President Donald Trump regarding a “60 Minutes” segment. Colbert described the settlement as a “big fat bribe” during his return episode after a break.

Colbert’s comments came after “The Daily Show” host Jon Stewart had previously criticized the same agreement a week earlier. Stewart is employed by Comedy Central, another entity under the Paramount umbrella. This makes both Colbert and Stewart prominent internal critics of the $16 million settlement revealed on July 1.

The term “bribe” used by Colbert alluded to the ongoing sale of Paramount to Skydance Media, which requires approval from the Trump administration. Opponents of the settlement concluded that resolving Trump’s lawsuit, related to the network’s editing of an interview with Democratic presidential hopeful Kamala Harris last fall, was mainly to facilitate the sale process.

“I am offended,” Colbert said in his monologue Monday night. “I don’t know if anything — anything — will repair my trust in this company. But, just taking a stab at it, I’d say $16 million would help.”

He said the technical name in legal circles for the deal was “big fat bribe.”

Jon Stewart terms it ‘shameful’

Stewart began discussing the “shameful settlement” on his show a week earlier when he was “interrupted” by a fake Arby’s ad on the screen. “That’s why it was so wrong,” he said upon his “return.”

He discussed the deal in greater detail with the show’s guest, retired “60 Minutes” correspondent Steve Kroft, making his views clear through a series of leading questions.

“I would assume internally, this is devastating to the people who work in a place that pride themselves on contextual, good journalism?” Stewart asked.

“Devastating is a good word,” Kroft replied.

A handful of media reports in the past two weeks have speculated that Skydance boss David Ellison might try to curry favor with Trump by eliminating the comics’ jobs if the sale is approved. A representative for Ellison did not immediately return a message for comment on Tuesday.

It would be easier to get rid of Stewart, since he works one night a week at a network that no longer produces much original content. Colbert is the ratings leader in late-night broadcast television, however, and is a relentless Trump critic.

The antipathy is mutual. Trump called Colbert “a complete and total loser” in a Truth Social post last fall, suggesting CBS was wasting its money on him. “HE IS VERY BORING,” Trump wrote.

Colbert slips in a quip

Colbert alluded to reports about his job security in his monologue, pointing to the mustache he grew during his vacation. “OK, OK, but how are they going to put pressure on Stephen Colbert, if they can’t find him?” he joked.

Colbert and Stewart both earned Emmy nominations this week for outstanding talk series. Together with ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel, all three nominees are tough on Trump.

CBS News journalists have largely been quiet publicly since the settlement’s announcement. Two top executives, CBS News CEO Wendy McMahon and “60 Minutes” executive producer Bill Owens, both quit or were forced out prior to the settlement for making their dissatisfaction about the idea known internally.

Reporting about the settlement on the day it was announced, “CBS Evening News” anchor John Dickerson said viewers would have to decide on their own what it meant to them.

“Can you hold power to account after paying it millions?” Dickerson asked. “Can an audience trust you when it thinks you’ve traded away that trust? The audience will decide that. Our job is to show up to honor what we witness on behalf of the people.”

___

David Bauder writes about the intersection of media and entertainment for the AP. Follow him at and https://bsky.app/profile/dbauder.bsky.social.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

One Dead in Shooting Just Steps From Daytona Beach Children’s Center - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

One Dead in Shooting Just Steps From Daytona Beach Children’s Center

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – A fatal shooting in Daytona Beach on Friday…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak

BUNIA – Congo has taken delivery of more than 16,000 doses of…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Nashville hospital medication error leaves at least 1 patient paralyzed after routine surgery, 3 others hurt
  • US

Nashville Hospital Medication Error Paralyzes Patient, Injures 3

HHS decertifies Kentucky organ donor network over near-harvesting incident The…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Auston Trusty Backs Kasper Hogh to Become Celtic’s Euro Star Ahead of Champions League Clash - Internewscast Journal
  • Sport

Auston Trusty Backs Kasper Hogh to Become Celtic’s Euro Star Ahead of Champions League Clash

Auston Trusty believes Kasper Hogh is ready to make another major Champions…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Kim Zolciak's ex Kroy picks up son's football jersey after arrest
  • News

Kim Zolciak’s Ex Kroy Picks Up Son’s Football Jersey After Arrest

Kim Zolciak’s estranged husband, Kroy Biermann, was seen in public on Saturday…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026
Vigil held for family of four who all died in Shoreham sea tragedy
  • News

Community Gathers at Vigil for Family of Four Who Died in Shoreham Sea Tragedy

A community vigil has been held for a family of four who…
  • Internewscast
  • August 22, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.