Pentagon officially accepts Qatari jet for Trump's use
Share this @internewscast.com

On Wednesday, the United States officially received a luxury jet from Qatar to be utilized as Air Force One, as reported by the Defense Department to NewsNation.

Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell stated, “The Secretary of Defense [Pete Hegseth] has received a Boeing 747 from Qatar, adhering to all federal rules and regulations,” in a statement provided to Tanya Noury, senior White House producer at The Hill’s affiliate network.

Parnell further mentioned, “The Department of Defense will ensure that the aircraft used to transport the President of the United States meets all proper security and functional mission requirements,” directing additional inquiries to the Air Force.

The Qatari gift was also raised at President Trump’s meeting with South Africa’s president at the White House on Wednesday. Trump shot down the question and repeatedly insulted the reporter who asked about criticism around the jet.

Trump last week said he would accept the $400 million luxury Boeing 747-8, previously used by the Qatari royal family, as a stand-in for the aging Air Force One fleet. 

The plane – which is one of the largest foreign gifts ever accepted by a U.S. president – has been criticized by U.S. lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, who say it raises both ethical and security questions.

Numerous Republicans have argued that the purportedly free jet comes with strings, given it will need to go through the lengthy and expensive process of being transformed into Air Force One. 

Others have raised safety concerns about the jet, including a group of senior Democratic senators led by Sen. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), who want the Pentagon’s watchdog to look into the Defense Department’s acceptance of the gifted plane and the Defense Department’s role in the transfer. 

Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), has said using the plane as Air Force One “would pose immense counterintelligence risks by granting a foreign nation potential access to sensitive systems and communications.”

But Trump has defended his decision to accept the jet, arguing it is legal and dismissing the bipartisan criticism as a “radical left story.”

“I just want to say, it was a radical left story,” Trump told Fox News’s Bret Baier in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, during a stop on his diplomatic trip to the Middle East last week. “The people here, to show you how crazy it is, they would like me to pay a billion dollars.”

Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani on Tuesday described the gift as one “done in full transparency and very legally.”

Boeing has had a contract with the U.S. government since Trump’s first term in 2018 to replace its pair of aging Air Force Ones, two military versions of the Boeing 747. The delivery of the aircraft has been delayed until at least 2027, a timeline Trump has latched onto in arguing the Qatari jet could serve as an interim plane.

But the gifted aircraft from Qatar would face a retrofit that could take years to complete and cost hundreds of millions of dollars, with new power systems, electrical wiring and other technology for secure communications and self-defense needed.

This story was updated at 1:49 p.m.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Heartbreaking Loss: Orlando Couple Tragically Perishes in Texas Plane Crash

In Orlando, Florida, a community grieves the loss of a cherished local…

Europe Stands Firm: Debunking the US Myth of ‘Civilizational Erasure

MUNICH – A leading European Union figure on Sunday dismissed claims that…

Historic Impersonation: ‘Abraham Lincoln’ Found Guilty in Shocking East Tennessee Manslaughter Case

A Tennessee man has been sentenced to a prison term ranging from…

WJHL Flashback: A Look Back at Singing Valentines from 2003

In Johnson City, Tennessee, former News Channel 11 anchor Tim Cable was…

Firefighters Battle Expanding 31-Acre Wildfire on Clinch Mountain in Grainger County

BLAINE, Tenn. (WATE) — Over the weekend, firefighters battled a wildfire that…

Tennessee Lawmakers Advocate for Tax Relief: Waiving Hotel Occupancy Taxes for Displaced Families

In the aftermath of Middle Tennessee’s unprecedented ice storm, the Wear family…

Central Florida Storm Forecast: Detailed Hourly Timeline of Upcoming Weather Conditions

ORLANDO, Fla. – Residents of northwestern counties are facing a level-two risk…

FBI Links DNA from Glove Found Near Guthrie Residence to Suspect

In a development that has left authorities working around the clock, investigators…

PHOTO GALLERY: Intense 4-Alarm Fire, Ignited by Brush Blaze, Engulfs Osceola County Business

OSCEOLA COUNTY, Fla. – A fierce four-alarm fire tore through a business…

Britain’s Beloved Chief Mouser Larry Celebrates 15 Years in Political Spotlight

LONDON – In the midst of political upheavals, one constant presence has…

Live Radar Update: What Central Florida Residents Need to Know About the Increased Severe Storm Threat

ORLANDO, Fla. – The eagerly anticipated Daytona 500 was able to cross…