Share this @internewscast.com
ORLANDO, Fla. – Hundreds of demonstrators gathered in downtown Orlando on Saturday to protest against policies implemented during President Donald Trump’s second term and to voice opposition to billionaire Elon Musk.
The rally highlighted concerns over many issues including tariffs, federal department cuts, reduced civil rights protections, and the broader state of democracy in the United States.
Around 1,300 of the “Hands Off” protests were planned across the country demanding “an end to the authoritarian overreach by Trump and Musk,” according to a press release from the event’s organizers.
Protesters carried signs and chanted slogans criticizing Trump’s administration over recent policy changes. Elon Musk was also a focus point of the demonstration, with many participants accusing him of having too much say in what the government does when he is not an elected official.
“Democracy is at stake,” said James Thompson, one of the protestors. “The people that just sit around and don’t do anything are going to get what they get, and they have no one to blame but themselves. So we’re out here to let people know we’re not just sitting idly by and watching them burn the country to the ground.”
Alan Musante, another attendee, expressed optimism about the number of community members who had come out. “You guys have seen the sheer number of people out here today. What do you have to say about that? It’s great, you know? And for this many people to come out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon to talk about the issues affecting our country — that’s just wonderful.”
The protest comes amid heightened economic anxiety following a historic downturn in U.S. stock markets.
On the same day, Republican U.S. Rep. Byron Donalds said he “crashed” one of the protests in Kissimmee.
Donalds announced last month that he is running for Florida governor to succeed Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis
On Friday, the S&P 500 plunged nearly 6%, closing at 5,074.08 — its lowest level in over a year — while the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped 2,200 points in its third-largest single-day point decline on record. The Nasdaq Composite also entered bear market territory after falling 10% this week.
The market turmoil was triggered by President Trump’s continued announcements of sweeping tariffs on imports from dozens of countries. Economists warn that these tariffs could significantly slow economic growth while raising consumer prices.
“This week has been one of the worst for Wall Street since 2020,” said financial analyst Michael Bromberg. “The S&P 500 has dropped 14% year-to-date, and nearly half of its listed companies saw double-digit losses this week alone.”
Copyright 2025 by WKMG ClickOrlando – All rights reserved.