Share this @internewscast.com
AUGUSTA, Ga. () – The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office is providing new details regarding the case of an Augusta father who left three children unattended at a restaurant last month.
Chris Louis, 24, was arrested on March 22 after deputies responded to the 2902 Washington Road McDonald’s in reference to possible abandoned juveniles. The children, ages 10, 6, and 1, were observed by witnesses to have been left alone for over an hour when they arrived at approximately 4:30 p.m. that day.
In the initial incident report, police state Louis claimed he and the children were at McDonald’s earlier that day because he had filled out a job application at the West Bank Inn near the McDonald’s, and was waiting for a callback for a possible interview.
According to the sheriff’s office, the 10-year-old stated that she, her father (Chris Louis), and her two siblings had walked to McDonald’s from The Hendrix Apartments.
“She further stated that her father left to deliver a backpack to The Hendrix Apartments and told her he would return shortly,” the supplemental report released April 2, 2025 from RCSO stated.
The mother of the children, after being contacted by the 10-year-old, arrived at approximately 6:12 p.m. Louis returned to the restaurant minutes later, at 6:18 p.m.
A RCSO deputy went to verify Louis’s account of his whereabouts with the manager of the West Bank Inn.
“She confirmed that Mr. Louis came in on March 22, 2025, and completed a job application. She also conducted an informal interview with him on that date. When asked if Mr. Louis would be expecting a callback for a formal interview, she stated no,” the report stated.
The manager, according to police, provided video surveillance footage that reportedly showed Louis arriving at 1:12 p.m. and leaving at 1:37 p.m. on March 22.
“Based on the video evidence and the timeline provided by all parties involved, it was determined that Mr. Louis was not engaged in a job interview or application process during the time the children were left unattended. Furthermore, by his own admission, he was walking between McDonald’s and The Hendrix Apartments on foot during that period,” the sheriff’s office stated.
“Given the facts and timeline established through BWC footage, witness statements, and follow-up investigation, it was determined that a misdemeanor charge of Deprivation of a Minor was appropriate to ensure the welfare of the children and facilitate a review of the matter by the court. This charge ensures that all parties have an opportunity to appear before a judge to determine if the children are receiving appropriate care,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement.
A full incident report is pending.