Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Slovak Court Hands Down 21-Year Sentence in Prime Minister Assassination Attempt
  • Local news

Slovak Court Hands Down 21-Year Sentence in Prime Minister Assassination Attempt

  • 3 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
A court in Slovakia sentences the man in the attempted assassination of prime minister to 21 years

Up next

A Grand Teton mountain runner set a record. But his route turned into a crime

Trailblazer Sets Record in Grand Teton Run, Faces Unexpected Legal Challenges

Published on 21 October 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0


Slovak Court Hands Down 21-Year Sentence in Prime Minister Assassination Attempt

BRATISLAVA – In a significant ruling on Tuesday, a Slovakian court sentenced a man to 21 years in prison for the attempted assassination of Prime Minister Robert Fico. The court found him guilty of a terror attack linked to the incident that occurred last year.

The shooting and consequent trial have deeply unsettled Slovakia, a member of both the European Union and NATO. Prime Minister Fico has been a polarizing figure, often criticized for steering the nation away from its pro-Western stance and forging closer ties with Russia.

The assailant, Juraj Cintula, opened fire on Fico on May 15, 2024. This alarming event took place in Handlová, approximately 140 kilometers (85 miles) from Bratislava, as the prime minister was engaging with supporters post a government meeting.

At 72 years old, Cintula was apprehended immediately following the attack and has remained in custody. During investigations, he denied being a “terrorist,” although he was charged with such.

The prime minister suffered a gunshot wound to the abdomen and was swiftly transported to a hospital in Banská Bystrica. There, he underwent a lengthy five-hour surgery, followed by another two-hour procedure two days later. Fortunately, he has since made a full recovery.

Cintula stated his actions were driven by a strong opposition to government policies. Despite refusing to testify in court, he maintained that his motives, as previously disclosed to investigators, were genuine.

“The defendant did not attack a citizen, but specifically the prime minister,” Igor Králik, the head of the three-judge panel, said in delivering the verdict. “He was against the government, he was inciting people to overthrow the government.”

In his testimony read by a prosecutor at the trial, Cintula said he disagreed with Fico’s policies, including the cancellation of a special prosecution office dealing with corruption, the end of military help for Ukraine and the government’s approach to culture.

“I decided to harm the health of the prime minister but I had no intention to kill anyone,” he said in the testimony. He also said he was relieved when he learned the premier survived.

Cintula can still appeal the verdict but it was not immediately clear if he would do so. He was originally charged with attempted murder but prosecutors later dropped that charge and said they were instead pursuing the more serious charge of engaging in a terror attack. They said it was based on evidence the investigators obtained but gave no further details.

Government officials initially said they believed it was a politically motivated attack committed by a “lone wolf,” but announced later that a third party might have been involved in “acting for the benefit of the perpetrator.”

Fico previously said he “had no reason to believe” it was an attack by a lone deranged person and repeatedly blamed the liberal opposition and media for the assassination attempt. There is no evidence for that.

The prime minister was not present at the trial and did not immediately comment on the verdict. Fico had previously said he felt “no hatred” towards his attacker, forgave him and planned no legal action against him.

Fico returned to power for the fourth time after his leftist Smer, or Direction, party won the 2023 parliamentary election after campaigning on a pro-Russia and anti-American message.

His critics have charged that Slovakia under Fico is following the direction of Hungary under Prime Minister Viktor Orbán. Thousands have repeatedly rallied in Bratislava and across Slovaka to protest Fico’s pro-Russian stance and other policies.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Deputies: Suspect Accused of Attempted Murder in Orlando Shooting - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Deputies: Suspect Accused of Attempted Murder in Orlando Shooting

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A 24-year-old man has been arrested after investigators…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Florida Emergency Management Chief Kevin Guthrie Resigns to Join Collins Campaign Ticket - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Florida Emergency Management Chief Kevin Guthrie Resigns to Join Collins Campaign Ticket

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Florida Emergency Management Director Kevin Guthrie stepped down Tuesday,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 18, 2026
Amendment 3 Explained: Tax Cut or Fiscal Time Bomb? - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Amendment 3 Explained: Tax Cut or Fiscal Time Bomb?

ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida’s Amendment 3 is drawing sharply divided reactions across…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Iran's mullahs 'are considering attacks on European military targets'
  • News

Iran Mulls Strikes on European Military Targets, Report Says

Iran is reportedly examining plans to strike US military targets in Europe…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
TV Doctor Urges Andy Burnham to Confront UK Life Expectancy Gap ‘National Crisis’ - Internewscast Journal
  • Health

TV Doctor Urges Andy Burnham to Confront UK Life Expectancy Gap ‘National Crisis’

Dr Amir Khan, the GP, broadcaster and author, has warned that widening…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Tupac Shakur Family Splits as Court Shows Autopsy Photos - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Tupac Shakur Family Splits as Court Shows Autopsy Photos

Testimony continued Tuesday for a second day in the trial of Duane…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Texas Teen Seeks New Trial in Fatal Track Meet Stabbing - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Texas Teen Seeks New Trial in Fatal Track Meet Stabbing

DALLAS — A Texas teen found guilty in the fatal stabbing of…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.