Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Supreme Court permits Trump to remove protections from some Venezuelans, paving the way for potential deportations
  • Local news

Supreme Court permits Trump to remove protections from some Venezuelans, paving the way for potential deportations

  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Supreme Court allows Trump to strip protections from some Venezuelans; deportations could follow

Up next

Mom did nothing to stop boyfriend's alleged abuse of twins

Mother Fails to Prevent Alleged Abuse of Twins by Boyfriend

Published on 19 May 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0

Supreme Court permits Trump to remove protections from some Venezuelans, paving the way for potential deportations

WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court has permitted the Trump administration to revoke legal protections from 350,000 Venezuelans, making them vulnerable to deportation.

The court’s decision, with just one noted dissent, halts a federal judge’s ruling in San Francisco that had maintained Temporary Protected Status for these Venezuelans, which would have otherwise ended the previous month. The justices did not provide an explanation, a customary practice in emergency appeals.

This status enables individuals already residing in the United States to legally live and work here, as their home countries are considered unsafe for return due to natural disasters or civil unrest.

A federal appeals court had earlier rejected the administration’s request to put the order on hold while the lawsuit continues.

The case is the latest in a string of emergency appeals President Donald Trump’s administration has made to the Supreme Court, many of them related to immigration. Last week, the government asked the court to allow it to end humanitarian parole for hundreds of thousands of immigrants from Cuba, Haiti, Nicaragua and Venezuela, setting them up for potential deportation as well.

The high court also has been involved in legal battles over Trump’s efforts to swiftly deport Venezuelans accused of being gang members to a prison in El Salvador under an 18th century wartime law called the Alien Enemies Act.

The administration has moved aggressively to withdraw various protections that have allowed immigrants to remain in the country, including ending the temporary protected status for a total of 600,000 Venezuelans and 500,000 Haitians. That status is granted in 18-month increments.

The protections had been set to expire April 7, but U.S. District Judge Edward Chen ordered a pause on those plans. He found that the expiration threatened to severely disrupt the lives of hundreds of thousands of people and could cost billions in lost economic activity.

Chen, who was appointed to the bench by Democratic President Barack Obama, found the government hadn’t shown any harm caused by keeping the program alive.

But Solicitor General D. John Sauer wrote on behalf of the administration that Chen’s order impermissibly interferes with the administration’s power over immigration and foreign affairs.

In addition, Sauer told the justices, people affected by ending the protected status might have other legal options to try to remain in the country because the “decision to terminate TPS is not equivalent to a final removal order.”

Congress created TPS in 1990 to prevent deportations to countries suffering from natural disasters or civil strife.

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson said she would have rejected the administration’s emergency appeal.

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Trump Blames Vandals for Damaged Grass at Site of His July 4 Celebration - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Trump Blames Vandals for Damaged Grass at Site of His July 4 Celebration

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump said Sunday that vandals were responsible for…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Zimbabwe Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 84 as 12 More Bodies Are Recovered - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Zimbabwe Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 84 as 12 More Bodies Are Recovered

HARARE – Rescue teams in Zimbabwe continued searching Lake Kariba on Sunday…
  • Internewscast
  • August 16, 2026
Ben Gvir Tells Ex-Hostage Israel Should Kill 30-40 Gazans Nightly - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Ben Gvir Tells Ex-Hostage Israel Should Kill 30-40 Gazans Nightly

JERUSALEM – A far-right Israeli lawmaker serving in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s…
  • Internewscast
  • August 16, 2026
Kushner Meets Netanyahu on Gaza After Two-Hour Hamas Talks - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Kushner Meets Netanyahu on Gaza After Two-Hour Hamas Talks

JERUSALEM – Jared Kushner, the Mideast negotiator and son-in-law of Donald Trump,…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Bonnie Tyler’s Family Gathers for Emotional Farewell at Late Icon’s Funeral - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Bonnie Tyler’s Family Gathers for Emotional Farewell at Late Icon’s Funeral

Bonnie Tyler’s family came together on Monday to say their final goodbyes…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Hayden Panettiere’s Hopeful Last Interview: I Have More Life Left to Live - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Hayden Panettiere’s Hopeful Last Interview: I Have More Life Left to Live

Hayden Panettiere offered a hopeful look at what she believed was ahead…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Sardinian Coast Faces Surge of Tourist Party Boats as Locals Raise Alarm - Internewscast Journal
  • News

Sardinian Coast Faces Surge of Tourist Party Boats as Locals Raise Alarm

Some of Sardinia’s most treasured coastal beauty spots are under mounting…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026
Battlefield where Anglo Saxons DESTROYED a Viking army found in Devon
  • News

Lost Devon Battlefield Where Anglo-Saxons Crushed Vikings Found

A battlefield lost to history, where Anglo-Saxon fighters are believed to have…
  • Internewscast
  • August 17, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.