Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news Suspected Solo Heist Targets Roman Statues at Syria’s Premier Museum
  • Local news

Suspected Solo Heist Targets Roman Statues at Syria’s Premier Museum

  • 2 minute read
Total
0
Shares
Share 0
Tweet 0
Pin it 0
Theft of Roman statues from Syria’s main museum believed to be work of an individual

Up next

TSA worker sues to allow transgender officers to perform pat-downs

Transgender Rights at TSA: Groundbreaking Lawsuit Challenges Pat-Down Policy

Published on 12 November 2025

Author

Internewscast

Share article

The post has been shared by 0 people.
Facebook 0
X (Twitter) 0
Pinterest 0
Mail 0


Suspected Solo Heist Targets Roman Statues at Syria’s Premier Museum

DAMASCUS – Officials revealed on Wednesday that the recent theft of several Roman-era statues from Syria’s national museum appears to have been perpetrated by an individual rather than an organized group.

The National Museum of Damascus was shut down following the discovery of the theft on Monday morning. This incident occurred shortly after the museum had reopened its doors in January, as Syria is gradually emerging from a 14-year civil war and the end of the Assad family’s 54-year rule last year.

As the investigation continues, security measures have intensified around the museum. A police vehicle was stationed at the main entrance in central Damascus, and security personnel were on high alert. Visitors are currently barred from entering the premises.

Two officials from Syria’s Directorate-General for Antiquities and Museums reported that significant strides have been made in the investigation, with results anticipated shortly. They requested anonymity as they are not authorized to discuss the specifics of the case publicly.

“With hope and determination, we aim for a successful resolution,” one official commented.

The museum, Syria’s largest, safeguards invaluable relics. Since the onset of the civil war in March 2011, its security has been bolstered with metal barriers and surveillance equipment. Additionally, hundreds of artifacts were relocated to Damascus from various regions to ensure their protection.

The theft angered Damascus residents who said that such acts tarnish the image of the country as it tries to rebuild from a war that left half a million people dead.

“This is not only an aggression on the Syrian state but an aggression on Syrian civilization,” said resident Waddah Khalifeh when asked about the theft. He expressed fears that the thieves might aim to smuggle the statues and sell them abroad.

On Tuesday the Directorate-General for Antiquities and Museums said that the theft did not affect activities at the museum and claimed that visitors were visiting the facility as usual.

An AP journalist who tried to enter the museum on Wednesday was told that all sections, including those that are outdoors, were closed because of the investigation.

The museum reopened on Jan. 8, a month after rebels ousted President Bashar Assad, ushering in a new era for the country. Fearful of looting, the museum had briefly closed after a rebel offensive ended five decades of Assad family rule.

The years of conflict had badly affected areas including the historic central town of Palmyra, once held by the Islamic State group. In 2015, IS members destroyed mausoleums in Palmyra’s UNESCO World Heritage site that is famous for its 2,000-year-old Roman colonnades, other ruins and priceless artifacts.

“I hope that these pieces will be returned because this is good for the new Syria,” said another resident, Hussein Abu al-Kheir, referring to post-Assad Syria.

____

Mroue reported from Beirut

Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

You May Also Like

Alibaba Profit Plunges 75% as AI Spending Weighs on Quarterly Results - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Alibaba Profit Plunges 75% as AI Spending Weighs on Quarterly Results

HONG KONG – Alibaba posted a steep 75% decline in quarterly profit…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026
Brevard Deputy Clocked at 111 MPH, No Super Speeder Arrest - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Brevard Deputy Clocked at 111 MPH, No Super Speeder Arrest

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. – Brevard County’s 2025 Deputy of the Year was…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026
Longtime Stars and Stripes Publisher to Retire Amid Pentagon Rift - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Longtime Stars and Stripes Publisher to Retire Amid Pentagon Rift

The longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes is stepping down, closing out…
  • Internewscast
  • August 19, 2026
Parramore Cheer and Dance Program Works to Prevent Heat-Related Fainting Among Young Girls - Internewscast Journal
  • Local news

Parramore Cheer and Dance Program Works to Prevent Heat-Related Fainting Among Young Girls

ORLANDO, Fla. – In Orlando’s Parramore neighborhood, Pure Pressure Cheer and Dance…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026
Invasive Joro Spiders Are Spreading Again: What to Do - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Invasive Joro Spiders Are Spreading Again: What to Do

The oversized, striking Joro spider — known for spinning enormous webs and…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026
NYC mayor aide hints at aid for stores hit by city-run supermarkets
  • News

NYC Mayoral Aide Signals Aid for Stores Impacted by City-Run Supermarkets

A top official helping steer New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s proposed…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026
Charter-Cox $34B Merger Closes: What Consumers Should Expect - Internewscast Journal
  • Business

Charter-Cox $34B Merger Closes: What Consumers Should Expect

Topline Charter Communications, the company behind Spectrum, and Cox have officially…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026
Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam - Internewscast Journal
  • US

Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has issued a consumer warning after a…
  • Internewscast
  • August 20, 2026

Internewscast Journal

  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • DMCA Notice
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Copyright 2026. All Right Reserverd.