Trump berates Walmart over price hikes: ‘EAT THE TARIFFS’

Trump Criticizes Walmart for Raising Prices: 'Absorb the Tariffs!'

On Saturday, President Trump criticized Walmart for its choice to increase prices this week, attributing the decision to the high expenses linked to the Trump administration’s trade war.

“Walmart should STOP trying to use Tariffs as an excuse for raising prices across their stores,” the president posted on Truth Social. “Walmart earned BILLIONS last year, far surpassing forecasts.”

“Walmart and China should, as the saying goes, ‘EAT THE TARIFFS,’ instead of charging loyal customers anything extra,” he continued. “I’m keeping an eye on this, and so are your customers!!!”

On Thursday, the retail giant announced plans to increase prices as early as next month in an effort to pass along costs associated with Trump’s sweeping tariff agenda. 

“The magnitude and speed at which these prices are coming to us is somewhat unprecedented in history,” Walmart Chief Financial Officer John David Rainey told The Wall Street Journal earlier this week.

The retail giant did not release a profit outlook for the first quarter of the year due to the uncertainty surrounding the economy as experts have warned for months about negative impacts on U.S. consumers.

“We will do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, but given the magnitude of the tariffs, even at the reduced levels announced this week, we aren’t able to absorb all the pressure given the reality of narrow retail margins,” Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said during a Thursday earning’s call. 

The company on Thursday shared that its profits slipped in the first quarter of the year, to $4.45 billion or 56 cents per share, from $5.10 billion or 63 cents per share, The Associated Press reported. 

Trump’s Saturday post comes after the administration reversed course earlier this week, lowering tariffs on Chinese imports from 145 percent to 30 percent for 90 days. China, in response, lowered retaliatory tariffs from 125 percent to 10 percent.

The move marks another major reversal on trade from the Trump administration, which has included specific Chinese tariff exemptions; 25 percent tariffs on Canada and Mexico, most of which reverted to pre-existing terms; and a 90-day pause on “reciprocal” tariffs against dozens of countries.

You May Also Like

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. – A razor-thin Republican primary contest for Florida’s Congressional…

Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak

BUNIA – Congo has taken delivery of more than 16,000 doses of…

One Dead in Shooting Just Steps From Daytona Beach Children’s Center

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – A fatal shooting in Daytona Beach on Friday…