Trump doubles reward to $50M for arrest of Venezuelan president
Share this @internewscast.com


MIAMI (AP) The Trump administration is doubling a reward to $50 million for the arrest of Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro, accusing him of being one of the world’s largest narco-traffickers and working with cartels to flood the U.S. with fentanyl-laced cocaine.

“Under President Trump’s leadership, Maduro will not escape justice, and he will be held accountable for his despicable crimes,” Attorney General Pam Bondi said Thursday in a video announcing the reward.

Maduro was indicted in Manhattan federal court in 2020, during the first Trump presidency, along with several close allies on federal charges of narco-terrorism and conspiracy to import cocaine. At the time, the U.S. offered a $15 million reward for his arrest. That was later raised by the Biden administration to $25 million the same amount the U.S. offered for the capture of Osama bin Laden following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

Despite the big bounty, Maduro remains entrenched after defying the U.S., the European Union and several Latin American governments who condemned his 2024 reelection as a sham and recognized his opponent as Venezuela’s duly elected president.

Last month, the Trump administration struck a deal to secure the release of 10 Americans jailed in the capital, Caracas, in exchange for Venezuela getting home scores of migrants deported by the United States to El Salvador under the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown. Shortly after, the White House reversed course and allowed U.S. oil producer Chevron to resume drilling in Venezuela after it was previously blocked by U.S. sanctions.

Bondi said the Justice Department has seized more than $700 million in assets linked to Maduro, including two private jets, and said nearly 7 tons of seized cocaine had been traced directly to the leftist leader.

Venezuelan Foreign Minister Yvan Gil released a statement characterizing the reward as “pathetic” and accusing Bondi of orchestrating a “crude political propaganda operation.”

“We’re not surprised, coming from whom it comes from. The same one who promised a nonexistent ‘secret list’ of Epstein and who wallows in scandals for political favors,” Gil said, referring to the backlash Bondi faced after the Justice Department announced last month that a long-rumored “client list” of convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein does not exist. “Her show is a joke, a desperate distraction from her own misery.”

Associated Press writer Regina Garcia Cano contributed to this report from Mexico City.

This story has been corrected to show that the Justice Department traced directly to Maduro nearly 7 tons of seized cocaine.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Shocking Revelation: Attorney Alleges Travis Turner Departed with Firearm – Full Statement Inside

BIG STONE GAP, Va. (WJHL) — Travis Turner’s family attorney has issued…

Revitalize Your Community: How Small Business Saturday Empowers Local Shops and Drives Sales

In Johnson City, Tennessee, enthusiastic shoppers faced chilly temperatures on Saturday to…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Escalating Tensions: Russian Strikes Claim Lives in Kyiv Amid Renewed Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Kyiv faced a deadly…

Pope Concludes Turkey Visit, Sets Sights on Beirut to Inspire Hope Amid Lebanon’s Ongoing Challenges

ISTANBUL – Concluding his visit to Turkey, Pope Leo XIV is now…

Survey Reveals Teenagers’ Growing Disinterest in Traditional News Media

NEW YORK – From a young age, Cat Murphy had a clear…

Texas Congressman Troy Nehls Announces Retirement Plans for 2026

In a recent announcement, Republican U.S. Representative Troy Nehls from Texas revealed…

Northwestern Secures $75 Million Agreement to Reinstate Federal Funding

In a significant move, Northwestern University has finalized an agreement with the…

Trump Calls for Closure of Venezuelan Airspace Amid Tensions: Maduro Decries ‘Colonial Threat

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – On Saturday, President Donald Trump declared that…

Greene County Standoff Leads to Man Facing Multiple Attempted Murder Charges, Says Sheriff

A man has been arrested and charged with several counts of attempted…

Gaza Ministry Reports Over 70,000 Palestinian Lives Lost in Ongoing Israel-Hamas Conflict

DEIR EL-BALAH – As the conflict between Israel and Hamas continues, the…

Renowned British Playwright and Oscar Winner Tom Stoppard Passes Away at 88

LONDON – Celebrated British playwright Tom Stoppard, renowned for his witty and…