Trump delays 50% tariffs on E.U. to July 9

Trump Postpones 50% E.U. Tariffs Until July 9

President Donald Trump said Sunday that he agreed to an extension on the 50% tariff deadline on the European Union until July 9.

“Today, Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, reached out to me requesting an extension on the June 1 deadline concerning a 50% tariff related to trade with the European Union,” Trump shared on Truth Social.

“I agreed to the extension — July 9, 2025 — It was my privilege to do so,” he added.

Trump’s post came after Von der Leyen said that she had a “good call” with Trump, but needed until July 9 to “reach a good deal.”

“The EU and US share the world’s most consequential and close trade relationship,” she wrote on X.

“Europe is ready to advance talks swiftly and decisively,” she continued.

Trump imposed 20% tariffs on the EU as part of his sweeping “reciprocal tariffs,” before slashing the rate down to 10% for 90 days.

However, just last week, Trump proposed a “straight 50% tariff” on the EU starting June 1, citing challenges in dealing with the 27-nation bloc.

“Our discussions with them are going nowhere!” Trump wrote Friday on Truth Social.

He later said that he was not planning to strike a deal with the EU before June 1.

During a White House executive order signing event, he commented, “I simply stated that it’s time to approach this matter using my strategy.”

You May Also Like

One Dead in Shooting Just Steps From Daytona Beach Children’s Center

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – A fatal shooting in Daytona Beach on Friday…

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. – A razor-thin Republican primary contest for Florida’s Congressional…

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…

Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak

BUNIA – Congo has taken delivery of more than 16,000 doses of…