US, EU strike trade deal for 15 percent tariffs

US and EU Reach Trade Agreement Implementing 15 Percent Tariffs

(The Hill) — President Donald Trump and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen have announced a new trade agreement, setting a 15 percent tariff on European goods, including cars.

As part of the deal, the European Union has agreed to purchase $750 billion worth of energy from the U.S. Additionally, they will increase their investments in the U.S. by $600 billion compared to current levels.

This agreement is notably less than the 30 percent tariff Trump had previously threatened, which was set to take effect on Aug. 1, thus averting a potential trade conflict with the EU, the U.S.’s largest trading partner.

Trump and von der Leyen both touted the enormity of the deal they had agreed to during a meeting at the president’s golf course in Turnberry, Scotland.

“I think it’s the biggest deal ever made,” Trump said.

“We have a trade deal between the two largest economies in the world. It’s a big deal, it’s a huge deal, it will bring stability, it will be predictability,” von der Leyen said. “It’s a good deal, it’s a tough deal.”

When asked about concessions the U.S. made to reach the deal, von der Leyen acknowledged that there was an unbalanced trade relationship previously between the EU and the U.S., resulting in a deficit for the U.S.

“We wanted to rebalance the trade relation and we wanted to do it in a way that trade goes on between the two of us across the Atlantic,” she said.

Trump went into the meeting with von der Leyen saying he thought there was a 50-50 chance the two leaders could strike a deal on Sunday.

“You’re known as a tough dealmaker and negotiator,” von der Leyen said before the meeting.

“And fair,” Trump responded.

“This is really the biggest trading partnership in the world so we should give it a shot,” Trump said.

Trump similarly reached a deal with Japan on trade earlier this week, which would set a 15 percent tariff on Japanese goods. That is lower than the 25 percent tariff Trump had threatened to impose on Japan beginning Aug. 1.

Also in that deal, Trump said that Japan would invest $550 billion in projects in the U.S. and would open its markets to U.S. automobiles, rice and other agricultural products.

The president on Sunday doubled down on tariffs starting on Aug. 1, telling reporters, “The August 1 is there for everyone. The deals all start on August 1.”

You May Also Like

Parramore Cheer and Dance Program Works to Prevent Heat-Related Fainting Among Young Girls

ORLANDO, Fla. – In Orlando’s Parramore neighborhood, Pure Pressure Cheer and Dance…

Longtime Stars and Stripes Publisher to Retire Amid Pentagon Rift

The longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes is stepping down, closing out…

Brevard Deputy Clocked at 111 MPH, No Super Speeder Arrest

BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. – Brevard County’s 2025 Deputy of the Year was…

Alibaba Profit Plunges 75% as AI Spending Weighs on Quarterly Results

HONG KONG – Alibaba posted a steep 75% decline in quarterly profit…