Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Internewscast Journal
  • Home
  • US News
  • Local News
  • Health
  • People
  • Guest Post
  • Support Our Cause
Home Local news US Judge Rules HHS Layoffs Likely Unlawful, Orders Immediate Halt
  • Local news

US Judge Rules HHS Layoffs Likely Unlawful, Orders Immediate Halt

    US judge says HHS layoffs were likely unlawful and must be halted
    Up next
    Gerry Turner Criticizes New ‘Golden Bachelor’ Mel Owens for Eliminating Contestants Aged 60+: “A Big Mistake”
    Published on 01 July 2025
    Author
    Internewscast
    Tags
    • and,
    • Donald Trump,
    • halted,
    • health,
    • hhs,
    • judge,
    • layoffs,
    • likely,
    • Melissa DuBose,
    • must,
    • Robert F. Kennedy Jr,
    • says,
    • unlawful,
    • Washington news,
    • were
    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest

    PROVIDENCE, R.I. – A federal judge has deemed the recent mass layoffs at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services likely illegal and has directed the Trump administration to pause its plans to streamline and reorganize the country’s health workforce.

    U.S. District Judge Melissa DuBose provided the preliminary injunction requested by a coalition of attorneys general from 19 states and the District of Columbia in a lawsuit filed at the beginning of May.

    DuBose stated that the states had demonstrated “irreparable harm” due to the layoffs and were likely to succeed in their assertions that “HHS’s action was both arbitrary and capricious as well as contrary to law.”

    “The executive branch does not have the authority to order, organize, or implement wholesale changes to the structure and function of the agencies created by Congress,” DuBose wrote in a 58-page order handed down in U.S. district court in Providence.

    Her order blocks the Trump administration from finalizing layoffs announced in March or issuing any further firings. HHS is directed to file a status report by July 11.

    The ruling applies to terminated employees in four different divisions of HHS: the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; the Center for Tobacco Products within the Food and Drug Administration; the Office of Head Start within the Administration for Children and Families and employees of regional offices who work on Head Start matters; and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation.

    Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. eliminated more than 10,000 employees in late March and consolidated 28 agencies to 15. Since then, agencies including the CDC have repeatedly rescinded layoffs affecting hundreds of employees, including in branches that monitor HIV, hepatitis and other diseases.

    The attorneys general argued that the massive restructuring was arbitrary and outside of the scope of the agency’s authority. The lawsuit also says the action decimated essential programs and pushed burdensome costs onto states.

    “The intended effect … was the wholesale elimination of many HHS programs that are critical to public health and safety,” the lawsuit argued.

    The cuts are part of a federal “Make America Healthy Again” directive to streamline costly agencies and reduce redundancies. Kennedy told senators at a May 14 hearing that there is “so much chaos and disorganization” at HHS.

    But the restructuring had eliminated key teams that regulate food safety and drugs, as well as support a wide range of programs for tobacco, HIV prevention and maternal and infant health. Kennedy has since said that because of mistakes, 20% of people fired might be reinstated.

    The states who joined the lawsuit have Democratic governors, and many of the same states — plus a few others — also sued the Trump administration over $11 billion in cuts to public health funding. A preliminary injunction was granted in that case in mid-May.

    ___

    The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

    Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

    Share this @internewscast.com
    FacebookXRedditPinterest
    You May Also Like
    Trump says Venezuelan airspace should be viewed as closed. Maduro government slams 'colonial threat'
    • Local news

    Trump Calls for Closure of Venezuelan Airspace Amid Tensions: Maduro Decries ‘Colonial Threat

    WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – On Saturday, President Donald Trump declared that…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Pope wraps up Turkey visit and heads to Beirut to try to give Lebanese hope after years of crises
    • Local news

    Pope Concludes Turkey Visit, Sets Sights on Beirut to Inspire Hope Amid Lebanon’s Ongoing Challenges

    ISTANBUL – Concluding his visit to Turkey, Pope Leo XIV is now…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Republican U.S. Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas says he will retire in 2026
    • Local news

    Texas Congressman Troy Nehls Announces Retirement Plans for 2026

    In a recent announcement, Republican U.S. Representative Troy Nehls from Texas revealed…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Grateful to be alive, residents who escaped the Hong Kong apartment blaze wonder what comes next
    • Local news

    Survivors of Hong Kong Apartment Fire Reflect on Their Next Steps

    HONG KONG – It was a typical afternoon when William Li received…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    Trump’s pardon of ex-Honduran president Hernández injects wild card into election
    • Local news

    Trump’s Surprising Pardon of Ex-Honduran President Hernández Could Reshape U.S. Election Dynamics

    TEGUCIGALPA – As Honduras gears up to elect its next president, the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025

    Heartfelt Farewell: Motorcade Honors Fallen National Guard Member Tragically Shot in Washington D.C.

    On Thursday evening, a solemn procession departed from Medstar Washington Medical Center,…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025

    Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

    What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025

    Shocking Revelation: Attorney Alleges Travis Turner Departed with Firearm – Full Statement Inside

    BIG STONE GAP, Va. (WJHL) — Travis Turner’s family attorney has issued…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    Palestinian death toll has surpassed 70,000 since the Israel-Hamas war began, Gaza ministry says
    • Local news

    Gaza Ministry Reports Over 70,000 Palestinian Lives Lost in Ongoing Israel-Hamas Conflict

    DEIR EL-BALAH – As the conflict between Israel and Hamas continues, the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025

    Union High School Triumphs in Playoffs with Strong Community Backing

    WISE COUNTY, Va. (WJHL) – Enthusiasm filled the air at Phil Robbins…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    African Union suspends Guinea-Bissau after military coup
    • Local news

    African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

    DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    Northwestern to pay $75 million in deal with Trump administration to restore federal funding
    • Local news

    Northwestern Secures $75 Million Agreement to Reinstate Federal Funding

    In a significant move, Northwestern University has finalized an agreement with the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 29, 2025
    Stranger who shot dead cheerleader, 18, is indicted for her murder
    • News

    Suspect Indicted in Fatal Shooting of 18-Year-Old Cheerleader

    A man accused of fatally shooting an 18-year-old cheerleader during a late-night…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Moment deadly sea drones destroy two tankers from Putin's shadow fleet
    • News

    Explosive Sea Drone Attack Dismantles Russian Shadow Fleet Tankers: A Closer Look at Maritime Warfare

    This gripping moment captures the destruction of two Russian tankers from the…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    State Department warns UK over grooming gang handling: 'Unspeakable abuse'
    • US

    U.S. State Department Criticizes UK’s Response to Grooming Gangs Amidst ‘Unspeakable Abuse’ Concerns

    The Trump administration has issued a stern critique of the United Kingdom…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Israeli Soldiers Execute Surrendering Palestinians in Jenin Raid
    • US

    Controversial Jenin Raid: Israeli Soldiers Accused of Executing Surrendering Palestinians

    Video from Jenin in the occupied West Bank shows Israeli border police…
    • Internewscast
    • November 30, 2025
    Internewscast Journal
    • Home
    • Privacy Policy
    • DMCA Notice
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Guest Post
    • Support Our Cause
    Copyright 2023. All Right Reserverd.