Share this @internewscast.com
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The effort to reconstruct California’s congressional districts is seen by some as a measure to safeguard democracy against President Donald Trump’s alleged election manipulation attempts, while others view it as a strategic move by Gov. Gavin Newsom and California Democrats to consolidate power.
With roughly five weeks remaining until early voting begins on Proposition 50, much is at stake in defining Newsom’s initiative to reshape California’s congressional landscape ahead of the 2026 midterms. This narrative battle could significantly influence which party will command the U.S. House during the concluding two years of what would be Trump’s second presidential term.
Fundraising for both proponents and adversaries of the campaign has swiftly surpassed $10 million, with the total spending anticipated to exceed $100 million by the crucial date of November 4. The initiative has garnered the attention of notable political figures, including former Governor and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger and former U.S. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.
Here’s a look at the campaigns and how they’re ramping up.
A national redistricting fight
The California proposition is a response to the mid-decade redistricting process initiated by Texas Republicans, following direction from Trump. The president’s strategy involves pressing Republican-majority states to redraw district lines favorably, aiming to prevent the Democrats from claiming a majority in the U.S. House during the 2026 elections.
Securing a net gain of merely three seats would enable Democrats to regain control of the House, granting them the authority to issue subpoenas to Trump, scrutinize his administration, and obstruct his policy objectives.
Recently, Texas Republican lawmakers enacted legislation designed to make several Democrat-held congressional districts more competitive for Republicans; Governor Greg Abbott officially enacted the law on Friday.
California’s Democratic-controlled Legislature responded in kind. Lawmakers last week approved a plan, which Newsom quickly signed, to ask voters to approve new House district boundaries that shore up shaky Democratic districts and pick up as many as five GOP-held seats.
Newsom and Democratic allies are mobilizing
Newsom and his Democratic allies have raised at least $12 million from roughly 400,000 small donations so far, according to a campaign spokesperson. They are also leaning on wealthy donors and influential interest groups aligned with Democrats. The California Teachers Association and House Majority PAC, an independent expenditure group backing Democratic House candidates, each put in at least $3 million.
Newsom contributed $2 million from his own campaign funds, while the Service Employees International Union and the California Labor Federation each gave $1 million. Other top donors include business and technology executives Bill Bloomfield, Paul Graham, John Pritzker and Andrew Hauptman.
The move is necessary to push back on Trump’s aggressive agenda, Newsom said, adding that he is convinced Trump will not leave the White House after his second term, though there is a constitutional ban on serving more than two terms. The campaign has explicitly tied the redistricting effort to the fate of American democracy.
“Wake up, we’re losing this country in real time,” Newsom said. “This is not bloviating. This is not exaggeration. It’s happening.”
Republicans are building their war chests
On the other side, multiple groups have emerged opposing the measure, each with a different approach.
Stop Sacramento’s Power Grab, led by McCarthy and Jessica Millan Patterson, a former state GOP chair, frames Newsom’s initiative as a scheme by Democrats to boost their own influence.
Patterson said the group wants to be sure that “people who believe that the power belongs with the people and not with Sacramento politicians are educated and are turned out to vote.”
Another group, Protect Voters First, is casting Newsom’s plan as an attack on California’s voter-approved independent redistricting commission. Charles Munger Jr., a prolific California donor who spent millions of dollars to support the creation of the commission, has contributed $20 million and signaled he is open to spending as much as needed to reach voters.
Schwarzenegger, one of the most notable champions of that commission, will continue speaking out against the gerrymandering efforts. The Republican hasn’t committed to any formal campaigns and isn’t planning on setting up his own committee, his representative said.
Mailers from opposing groups already reached voters this week. One from Munger’s organization cites criticism of the unusual midcycle redistricting by some Democrats and good-government advocates such as the League of Women Voters.
TV and digital ads from both sides are expected to go live as soon as this weekend. Campaigns are also planning canvassing efforts to reach undecided voters.
If voters approve the new map, it would replace the existing one drawn by the independent commission and remain through 2030 elections. The commission then would resume its power to draw new boundaries using 2030 census data.
Other states may join in
Both parties are looking across the U.S. map to see where else they can press their advantage. Republicans are eying gains in Indiana, Missouri and Florida; Democrats see potential in Maryland, New York and Illinois.
Missouri Gov. Mike Kehoe on Friday, a Republican, called lawmakers into a special session next week to consider redistricting, looking to add another GOP-friendly district.
The moves so far in Texas and California have faced legal challenges. The California Supreme Court dismissed two lawsuits filed by Republican lawmakers, but opponents said they would keep challenging the map.
U.S. Rep. Kevin Kiley, a Republican whose district would grow more Democratic if California’s new map survives, hopes voters will ignore what’s happening in Texas and at the White House. The question facing voters is only about California and its elections, he said.
“It makes no sense to say that if some other state is doing something that we don’t like, we should then respond by doing too,” said Kiley, who opposes the Texas redistricting plan and recently introduced legislation to ban all midcycle redistricting efforts nationwide. “That fails the test of kindergarten logic. Two wrongs doesn’t make a right.”
Democrats in Washington are confident strong candidates are ready to run in the newly attainable California districts if voters approve.
In addition to Kiley, the proposed California map also targets Republicans Doug LaMalfa, who represents mostly rural areas of Northern California, and Ken Calvert in Southern California’s suburban Inland Empire. Their districts would become significantly less conservative.
The Democratic map also takes aim at Republicans David Valadao in the Central Valley agricultural region and Darrell Issa in the San Diego area.
___
Cooper reported from Phoenix.
Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.