Weather Service expected to expand hiring efforts amid vacancies


Weather Service Plans to Increase Hiring to Fill Vacancies

The National Weather Service (NWS) is expected to expand its hiring efforts after facing both vacancies and public scrutiny of Trump administration cuts. 

Tom Fahy, legislative director at the National Weather Service Employees Organization, told The Hill on Wednesday that he expects the service to hire for additional positions beyond the 126 that were previously reported.

 Fahy said it could mean “potentially hundreds” of new jobs.

CNN first reported this week that the Weather Service planned to hire back hundreds of jobs. According to the news outlet, the NWS will be able to hire a total of 450 positions including meteorologists, hydrologists and radar technicians.

A Weather Service spokesperson declined to comment.

The NWS and its parent agency, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), represented two of many government entities that faced job cuts and buyouts due to the administration’s Department of Government Efficiency. 

However, as hurricane season began, and in particular after the deadly flooding in Texas, many of these cuts began to face scrutiny. 

An internal memo warned in June that some offices around the country were “critically understaffed.” 

Last month, the White House issued a memo that extended a federal hiring freeze but exempted a few agencies, including the Weather Service.

Neil Jacobs, who has been nominated to lead NOAA, pledged during his confirmation hearing to make NWS staffing a “top priority.” His nomination is still pending, though he is expected to be approved. 

Democrats and Republicans alike have expressed concerns about the staffing levels at the NWS, with bipartisan bills being introduced in both the House and Senate on the issue.

You May Also Like

Boston Symphony Orchestra Musicians Union Authorizes First Strike in Ensemble’s 145-Year History

LENOX, Mass. – Musicians with the Boston Symphony Orchestra have authorized what…

Congo Receives Over 16,000 Ebola Vaccine Doses Amid Unprecedented Outbreak

BUNIA – Congo has taken delivery of more than 16,000 doses of…

Lake County Launches Machine Recount in Tight District 11 Republican Contest

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. – A razor-thin Republican primary contest for Florida’s Congressional…

Trump Urges Court to Block BBC Request for Family Records in Defamation Case

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump is asking a federal judge to deny…