FAA lifts order slashing flights, allowing commercial airlines to resume their regular schedules
Share this @internewscast.com

The Federal Aviation Administration announced on Sunday its decision to lift all commercial flight restrictions previously enforced at 40 major airports due to the nation’s longest government shutdown.

Airlines are set to return to their standard flight operations starting Monday at 6 a.m. EST, as confirmed by the agency.


Passengers wait in a crowded airport lounge, some sitting on the floor or with luggage, many looking at phones.
Regular flight schedules will resume on Monday at 6 a.m. EST. Stephen Yang for the New York Post

This update was delivered in a joint statement by Transportation Secretary Sean P. Duffy and FAA Administrator Bryan Bedford.

Amid growing safety concerns from staff shortages at air traffic control facilities during the shutdown, the FAA had implemented an unprecedented order to manage air traffic. This order, effective since November 7, disrupted thousands of flights nationwide.

Key airports impacted included major hubs such as those in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Atlanta.

Initially, flight reductions began at 4% and escalated to 6%. However, on Friday, the FAA scaled back these restrictions to 3%, attributing the rollback to ongoing improvements in air traffic controller staffing following the historic 43-day shutdown.

The FAA statement said an FAA safety team recommended the order be rescinded after “detailed reviews of safety trends and the steady decline of staffing-trigger events in air traffic control facilities.”

The statement said the FAA “is aware of reports of non-compliance by carriers over the course of the emergency order. The agency is reviewing and assessing enforcement options.” It did not elaborate.

Cancellations hit their highest point Nov. 9, when airlines cut more than 2,900 flights because of the FAA order, ongoing controller shortages and severe weather in parts of the country. But conditions began to improve throughout the week as more controllers returned to work amid news that Congress was close to a deal to end the shutdown. That progress also prompted the FAA to pause plans for further rate increases.

The agency had initially aimed for a 10% reduction in flights. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy has said worrisome safety data showed the move was necessary to ease pressure on the aviation system and help manage worsening staffing shortages at air traffic control facilities as the shutdown entered its second month and flight disruptions began to pile up.

Air traffic controllers were among the federal employees who had to continue working without pay throughout the shutdown. They missed two paychecks during the impasse.

Duffy hasn’t shared the specific safety data that prompted the cuts, but he cited reports during the shutdown of planes getting too close in the air, more runway incursions and pilot concerns about controllers’ responses.

Airline leaders have expressed optimism that operations would rebound in time for the Thanksgiving travel period after the FAA lifted its order.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Man arrested after allegedly attempting to kidnap two 12-year-old girls in Glynn County

Attempted Kidnapping in Glynn County: Man Arrested for Allegedly Targeting Two 12-Year-Old Girls

A 21-year-old man, Evert Luna, has been taken into custody by Glynn…
Indiana Republican's Problematic Remark About Trump, How He's Voting on State Redistricting

Indiana Republican’s Controversial Comment on Trump and Its Impact on State Redistricting Vote

Indiana’s legislature is currently debating a redistricting proposal that could potentially bolster…
American tourist found stabbed to death in Tobago

American Tourist Tragically Discovered Fatally Stabbed in Tobago

Local authorities have reported the death of an American man found with…
What does the future hold for Jets QB Justin Fields after benching?

Future Uncertain: What’s Next for Jets’ Quarterback Justin Fields After Recent Bench?

The future of Justin Fields with the New York Jets remains shrouded…
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Fox News True Crime Newsletter: Unraveling Anna Kepner’s Enigma, Alex Murdaugh’s Legal Drama, and the Stalled Investigation of Martha Moxley

In a tragic turn of events, 18-year-old Anna Kepner was discovered deceased…
2 National Guard members shot in an ambush attack blocks from the White House

Suspect in National Guard Shooting Charged with First-Degree Murder Following Death; Second Victim Remains Critical

The charges against a 29-year-old former CIA collaborator in Afghanistan have been…
Tinsel, Taps and 'Tinis | A new initiative to explore Downtown Jacksonville

Discover Downtown Jacksonville: Sip, Shop, and Celebrate with Tinsel & Tinis

Downtown Vision has launched an initiative designed to introduce residents to the…
A Thanksgiving to remember: IHOP waitress gets $2,000 tip after man raises money on social media

Heartwarming Thanksgiving Surprise: IHOP Waitress Receives $2,000 Tip Thanks to Viral Social Media Campaign

“I was completely stunned,” shared server Ashley Cruz. “This feels like a…
WATCH: Trump Blasts Reporter over National Guard Shooting Question

WATCH: Trump Criticizes Reporter in Response to National Guard Shooting Inquiry

President Donald Trump did not shy away from expressing his frustration during…
ICE in Chicago: Federal agents engaged in widespread misrepresentations to justify use of force, Judge Ellis says

Federal Agents in Chicago Accused of Misrepresentation to Justify Force, Judge Ellis Reports

In Chicago, the ABC7 I-Team is delving into a collection of videos…
Cheerleader who died aboard Carnival cruise ship cremated, death certificate reveals

Tragic Cruise Incident: Cheerleader’s Brave Battle Sparks Federal Investigation into Stepbrother

The tragic death of 18-year-old Anna Kepner aboard a Carnival Cruise ship…
Pei-Yun Chung: 'Dine-and-dash diva' accused of skipping out on bills at high-end Brooklyn, New York City restaurants

Brooklyn’s ‘Dine-and-Dash Diva’ Allegedly Leaves High-End Eateries Without Paying

NEW YORK — A social media influencer, notorious for allegedly evading payments…