Share this @internewscast.com

In a recent update from the Coroners Court of Queensland, an autopsy has revealed that the teenage girl discovered amidst wild dingoes at a renowned Australian tourist destination likely drowned. The findings indicate physical signs aligning with drowning.

Nineteen-year-old Piper James, a Canadian backpacker, was enjoying a dream vacation on Queensland’s K’gari, also known as Fraser Island, when she decided to take a morning swim on a Monday. Tragically, she did not return from this outing.

Her remains were found shortly after on the beach near the SS Maheno shipwreck, a site frequented by tourists, with approximately ten dingoes nearby.

The coroner has conducted an initial evaluation and is now waiting for pathology results to provide further clarity on the cause of death. This information will be integral to the ongoing investigation, according to a statement released by the Coroners Court of Queensland on Friday.

It is anticipated that this process may extend over several weeks.

The preliminary autopsy results have uncovered evidence that supports drowning as a cause of death, along with injuries that are consistent with dingo bites, the spokesperson confirmed.

Pre-mortem dingo bite marks are not likely to have caused immediate death, the spokesperson said.

There are extensive post-mortem dingo bite marks.

There is no evidence that any other person was involved.

Dingo activity

James’ family are devastated over the tragedy.

“Our hearts are shattered as we share the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter, Piper,” her father, Todd James, said in a social media tribute.

“We will always remember her infectious laugh and her kind spirit. I admired her strength and determination to go after her dreams.”

James had been living and working at a backpackers on K’gari alongside a friend from Canada for about six weeks.

A young woman sitting on a motorbike smiles at the camera

Canadian backpacker Piper James, 19, was on a holiday on Queensland’s K’gari. Source: Supplied / Todd James

Rangers increased patrols across the island following the tragedy, which came just weeks after a warning about “heightened dingo activity” near where James was found, with reports of dingoes ripping tents, approaching campers and stealing food and property.

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli on Wednesday ruled out a tourist ban on the island as authorities waited for the autopsy results.

The warning remains in place on K’gari for the summer holiday period until 31 January.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…

Latest Updates: The Ongoing Search for Missing Nancy Guthrie

In brief Nancy Guthrie was reported missing early this month. A promising…
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
Wayne Bennett has endorsed the landmark changes to State of Origin’s selection criteria but has warned Australian rugby league chiefs not to alter core eligibility rules

Wayne Bennett Urges State of Origin Leaders to Maintain Key Rule Amidst Significant Eligibility Reforms

Wayne Bennett has given his support to the groundbreaking modifications in the…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…