3.9k Share this
NATIONAL CITY —
Food left unattended on a stove sparked a fire early Wednesday that caused $30,000 in damage to the National City home and displaced seven people, including three young children, a fire official said.
The blaze was reported around 6 a.m. at the home on D Avenue near East 20th Street, said National City Battalion Chief Robert Hernandez. When fire crews arrived, they saw smoke coming from the ground floor of the two-story structure, Hernandez said.
Firefighters quickly worked to put out the fire, which started in the kitchen when an unattended pan filled with oil caught fire and spread to the kitchen’s cabinets. Firefighters from National City were assisted by firefighters from Chula Vista and San Diego.
Fire officials initially were worried the fire might have spread to the attic after seeing smoke coming from the home’s eaves, but firefighters checked it out and found the blaze was contained to the kitchen. The smoke was from the kitchen and was carried from vents in the attic space, Hernandez said.
Four adults and three children were able to get out safely and no injuries were reported. Red Cross planned to assist the residents with temporary housing assistance, Hernandez said.
Source: This post first appeared on sandiegouniontribune.com