Third British victim of Lisbon tragedy is revealed to be 82-year-old

The final British victim of the horror funicular crash in Lisbon has been named and pictured for the first time. 

Andrew David Kenneth Young, aged 82, died in a tragic incident when the funicular train he was riding derailed and collided with a building close to Restauradores Square last Wednesday, as reported by Welsh police.

He was one of three Brits who died in the accident that killed 16 and left nearly two dozen injured.  

Authorities are currently investigating to determine the precise cause of the funicular accident. The belief is that a broken cable led to the derailment.

Young, a resident of Holyhead on Anglesey, was remembered by his family as a “lifelong transport enthusiast,” who found joy in his hobby. They expressed comfort in knowing that he spent his final moments engaged in what brought him great happiness.

They said he spent his retirement ‘visiting heritage railways and tramways around the world’.

He was raised in Auchterarder, Perthshire, but moved to Holyhead in 1980 where he had a ‘long career as a customs officer’.

He died alongside British citizens Kayleigh Gillian Smith, 36, and her partner William Nelson, 44. 

Andrew David Kenneth Young, 82, (pictured) tragically passed away when the funicular train he was on derailed

Andrew David Kenneth Young, 82, (pictured) tragically passed away when the funicular train he was on derailed

Kayleigh Gillian Smith, 36, (right) and her partner William Nelson, 44, (left) were among the 16 people who tragically lost their lives in Wednesday evening's accident

Kayleigh Gillian Smith, 36, and her partner William Nelson, 44, were among the 16 victims who perished in the tragic accident on Wednesday evening.

Carris personnel inspect the wrecked Gloria funicular on September 04, 2025 in Lisbon, Portugal

Carris personnel inspect the wrecked Gloria funicular on September 04, 2025 in Lisbon, Portugal

On the day of the disaster, Ms. Smith shared on social media that she and her partner had enjoyed their first day in Lisbon exploring “churches and castles, tiles and trams.”

She also posted beautiful photos of the city’s stunning architecture, moments with her partner, and two small beers by the ocean as the sun set over Lisbon.

Police were finally able to identify all of the victims on Friday, stating that among the dead there were five Portuguese nationals, three Britons, two Canadians, two South Koreans, one American, one French, one Swiss and one Ukrainian.

They were also able to clarify that a German father who had previously been reported to have died was alive, at a hospital in the capital. 

The distinctive yellow-and-white funicular streetcar came off its rails at 6.05pm on Wednesday, September 3, careening down a hill towards a sharp bend before crashing into a hotel corner building.

The Elevador de Glória, used by millions of tourists and locals alike every year, was packed as Lisbon’s rush hour peaked.

The streetcar was heading downhill towards the city centre from the vibrant Bairro Alto when it crashed.

Details remain scant as to the exact cause of the accident. The Lisbon Firefighters Regiment said it was likely caused by a cable that came loose in the structure of the funicular.

A flower wreath and a balloon are placed next to the site of the crash, on September 4, 2025

A flower wreath and a balloon are placed next to the site of the crash, on September 4, 2025

A drone view shows the site of the accident on September 4, 2025

A drone view shows the site of the accident on September 4, 2025

But Carris, the company that operates the railway, said that ‘we cannot assume the problem lies with the cable’. 

They insisted that the funicular had undergone its full maintenance checks last year, and been looked over just nine hours before the crash.

CEO Pedro de Brito Bogas said on Thursday that there were six technicians, supervised by three engineers, that were responsible for maintaining the elevator.

But Mr Bogas did not detail what the visual inspection on September 3 entailed, or say whether all the cables were tested when asked.

Chief police investigator Nelson Oliveira said a preliminary police report with a broader scope is expected within 45 days.

Alongside investigations by police, public prosecutors and government transport experts, Carris has opened its own investigation into the crash.  

Bouquets of flowers and candles to pay homage to the victims of Gloria funicular, September 4

Bouquets of flowers and candles to pay homage to the victims of Gloria funicular, September 4

Portugal's President, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa (C-L), pays respects to the victims of the Gloria funicular accident

Portugal’s President, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa (C-L), pays respects to the victims of the Gloria funicular accident

The investigating Policia Judiciaria said on Friday that it had now identified all of those who perished in the accident.

It confirmed there were no British nationals among the injured survivors.

Sir Keir Starmer said on Friday afternoon, upon release of the new information, that he was ‘deeply saddened’.

A Number 10 spokesman said: ‘His thoughts are with their families and those affected by this terrible incident. We stand united with Portugal during this difficult time.’

More to follow. 

You May Also Like

TV Star Emerges as Surprise Frontrunner to Replace Karoline Leavitt

As a crowded field of would-be contenders worked to get Donald Trump’s…

Tennis Fans React as Venus Williams Receives US Open Wild Card at 46

Venus Williams is poised to make another memorable appearance at the US…

Fatal Attraction Icon Glenn Close, 78, Stuns Fans With Glamorous New Look

Anne Archer, the Oscar-nominated actress who helped define one of the biggest…

Teen Lifeguard Suffers Spinal Injury in San Diego Drill

A young San Diego lifeguard is facing a long and difficult recovery…

Florida Mom Accused of Burning Daughters With Hot Wax, Starting Fire

A Miami mother is facing serious allegations after authorities said she poured…

Midwest Construction Worker Dies After Becoming Trapped in Storm Drain

An Ohio construction worker died while working inside a storm drain after…

Anthony Albanese’s International Travel Bill Reaches $4 Million for Taxpayers

Anthony Albanese’s taxpayer-funded travel bill topped $4million last financial year, with new…

Outstanding Refugee Award Winner Charged in Alleged Fraud Scheme

A Somali-born entrepreneur who once received Minnesota’s “Outstanding Refugee Award for Entrepreneurship”…

Archaeologists Uncover Skeletal Remains in Peru Believed to Be Ancient Ritual Offering

LIMA, Peru — Archaeologists in Peru have presented newly uncovered human skeletal…

Lindsay Clancy’s Chilling ‘Voice’ Confession to Husband

The psychologist who evaluated Lindsay Clancy described in court the moment she…

Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort

A grieving widow has filed a lawsuit against a Las Vegas resort,…

Hayden Panettiere Reveals Zebra Accident Pain Haunted Her for 20 Years

Hayden Panettiere has previously opened up about a frightening on-set accident involving…