Share this @internewscast.com
Anthony Albanese has commented on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s “remarkable downfall” shortly after the former Duke of York’s dramatic arrest.
Authorities from Thames Valley Police took the 66-year-old into custody on Thursday, suspecting him of misconduct while in public office.
It was the Daily Mail that first reported the arrest, noting that plain-clothes officers in six unmarked cars arrived at Andrew’s residence, Wood Farm at Sandringham, at 8 a.m. on his birthday. After 12 hours, he was released but remains under investigation.
During an interview on the Guardian’s Australian Politics podcast on Friday, Australia’s Prime Minister was questioned about the unusual arrest.
“These are extremely serious allegations, and as they are likely to be part of legal proceedings, my comments must be limited,” he remarked.
He added, “People will closely follow the developments. This seems to involve classified documents and whether they were improperly shared with someone not authorized to receive them.”
‘But, of course, there’s the bigger issue as well when it comes to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. No doubt, we will wait and see where this all goes.
‘But it’s quite an extraordinary fall from grace I must say from someone who had such an esteemed position. And was in a position really of absolute privilege. And to see this decline and fall is extraordinary.’
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested by Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office on Thursday – his 66th birthday
Anthony Albanese said Andrew’s arrest was an ‘extraordinary fall from grace’
Andrew was released from police custody more than 10 hours after his arrest (pictured, officers walk near the entrance to the Royal Lodge, a property on the estate surrounding Windsor Castle and a former residence of Andrew)
Guardian Political Editor Tom McIlroy asked Albanese whether Australia should reassess its ties with the British monarchy in light of the arrest.
‘I’m a republican, but we had a referendum during the last term. Referendums are hard to pass in Australia,’ he replied.
‘I have respect for King Charles, I must say, and for Queen Camilla. I have had a good relationship with him.
‘He very much loves Australia. And his visit here, I must say, was a very positive one.
‘But that doesn’t change the fact I think there should be an Australian head of state.’
Asked if there are any inquiries or investigations linked to the Epstein files in Australia, the prime minister responded in the negative.
‘No, none that I know of,’ he said.
The Australian PM has never shied away from his desire for Australia to separate from the monarchy and become a republic.
Detectives have been probing his conduct as a trade envoy for the UK after the Epstein Files
The King said on Thursday that ‘the law must take its course’ after expressing his ‘deepest concern’ over the arrest
Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Angus Taylor said Mountbatten-Windsor remained vague when asked the same question by reporters in Melbourne on Friday.
‘I think the issue you raised is one that will come up over time, I’m sure, but right now, I think the important point to make is that we’re all equal before the law,’ he said.
News of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest has dominated worldwide headlines.
Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
Emails released by the US Department of Justice appeared to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
The King said on Thursday that ‘the law must take its course’ after expressing his ‘deepest concern’ over the arrest.
After Andrew was released from police custody, photographs showed him returning to Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate.
Andrew, who was seen in the back of a vehicle looking shell-shocked and aghast, has denied any wrongdoing.