Another hopeful 'spotting' of killer Travis Decker goes cold

Another potential sighting of the suspected killer, Travis Decker, has led nowhere as search operations in Washington state are being reduced. Decker is accused of murdering his three young daughters.

The search for the 33-year-old began when his daughters—Paityn, 9, Evelyn, 8, and Olivia, 5—were found strangled at a campsite near Leavenworth, Washington, in early June.

It is now believed Decker, 33, dumped their bodies and his truck, and he has been wanted on murder charges since.

There was a flicker of hope on Friday. The King County Sheriff’s Office received a tip around 6 p.m. indicating that the father was seen near Snoqualmie Pass and the Pacific Crest Trail area, about 55 miles from Seattle.

“Finding Decker is a priority,” reported the sheriff’s office, which deployed multiple patrol units, including TAC-30, K9 Units, and Guardian 1, to assist in the search, as mentioned to KIRO.

‘Neighboring law enforcement agents were notified as well.’

But an extensive search for the former Army Ranger came up empty, and the search efforts were called off at around 9.15pm.

Just days earlier, the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office, initially in charge of the operation, announced it would reduce its efforts due to a decline in leads concerning Decker’s location.

Another Potential Sighting of Killer Travis Decker Yields No Results

Yet another potential sighting of accused killer Travis Decker, 33, has gone cold

Decker is accused of killing his three young daughters - Olivia, 5; Evelyn, 8; and Paityn, 9

Decker is accused of killing his three young daughters – Olivia, 5; Evelyn, 8; and Paityn, 9

Chelan County Sheriff Mike Morrison announced on Thursday it is 'not likely' Decker is still alive and on the loose

Chelan County Sheriff Mike Morrison announced on Thursday it is ‘not likely’ Decker is still alive and on the loose

The search had been concentrated on national forest regions and parts of the Pacific Crest Trail, which spans from the Canadian border in Washington down to the Mexican border in California.

The failed search this week follows a number of similar sightings that have not materialized, with officials admitting in June that a trove of evidence taken from his suspected hiding site did not match any of his DNA.  

Thus far, each effort to find and capture Decker – who is wanted on state and federal charges for murder and kidnapping – have ended in a dead end.

Even a tip that Decker may be hiding out in Idaho proved to be false, with someone mistaking a local man for the wanted killer.

As the search efforts now reach a third consecutive month, Chelan County Sheriff Mike Morrison suggested it is ‘not likely’ Decker is still alive and on the loose.

‘His ability to go through that area and not be detected would have been challenging, let alone the challenges involved with him having to hike through all the snow that was up there toward the Pacific Crest Trail at the time,’ he told reporters on Thursday.

Still, he insisted to KHQ that the department remains ‘optimistic’ it will locate the accused killer, even if it is just his body.

‘We still recognize we have a job to do,’ Morrison said.

He added that deputies ‘are going through and making sure that we are covering our paths twice, sometimes three times, and also making sure that we are utilizing our search and rescue investigative units appropriately.’

Search efforts have been focused on national forest areas and parts of the Pacific Crest Trail

Search efforts have been focused on national forest areas and parts of the Pacific Crest Trail

 

Morrison said sheriff's deputies will go over areas that they have already checked for the murder suspect

Morrison said sheriff’s deputies will go over areas that they have already checked for the murder suspect

Yet some experts, including law enforcement and security analyst Todd McGhee, have said Decker’s extensive military background may have enabled him to live in the wilderness undetected. 

He had joined the Army in 2013 and served in Afghanistan before transferring to the Washington National Guard in 2021, a communications director for the Washington Military Department previously confirmed to the Daily Mail.

The Guard was in the process of a disciplinary discharge due to Decker’s absences when his daughters were killed.

He had been suffering from mental health issues at the time, and had recently been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

Decker was even court-mandated to receive mental health treatment and domestic violence anger management counseling but had refused.

Police said he was also homeless and living out of his car by the time he picked up his three girls from their mother’s house on May 30.

Still, his ex-wife Whitney told police she didn’t believe Decker was dangerous, and that he loved his daughters, with whom he had a ‘good relationship.’ 

Decker's ex-wife Whitney told police she did not believe he was dangerous and that he loved his three daughters

Decker’s ex-wife Whitney told police she did not believe he was dangerous and that he loved his three daughters

However, dashcam footage from a May 27 traffic stop has added to the image of Decker’s poor mental state at the time.

Decker appeared in the 19-minute video with his arms crossed and a bored expression before he leaned on his car and then sat on the bumper. 

At one point, he could be seen resting his head on his truck bed as the other driver and police officer interact.

After the incident, the other driver told KING 5, which obtained the video, that Decker appeared ‘nervous and fidgety’ and ‘kept telling me not to call police’ claiming he would go to jail over the accident.

When the driver told Decker he had to call police to report the crash, he said the alleged killer’s body language was ‘almost intimidating.’

‘I could tell he was not in his full senses,’ the driver added.

At the end of the video, Decker shook the driver’s hand for nine seconds. When the driver tried to pull away, Decker continued asking if he was going to be okay, the driver said.

The traffic stop happened three days before Decker picked up his daughters at their mother’s house for the last time, according to police. 

Whitney called police after Decker failed to bring them back. She told cops he was ‘quieter than usual’ when he collected the girls, which was ‘out of character’ for him. 

His vehicle was eventually found on June 2, with his daughter’s remains nearby.

An ensuing autopsy then confirmed that the three girls died of suffocation and their deaths were ruled a homicide.

You May Also Like

Washington, DC Turns Into IndyCar Track for America 250 Finale

IndyCar drivers thundered down Pennsylvania Avenue on Saturday, turning one of Washington’s…

Only 4% Say Prince William Should Move First Toward Harry

Prince William should leave it to Prince Harry to take the first…

Karmelo Anthony Denied New Trial in Austin Metcalf Murder Case

A judge has rejected Karmelo Anthony’s request for a new trial. Anthony…

Philadelphia Resident Kicks Chucky-Masked Man, Issues Warning

A Philadelphia actor who says they confronted a man in a Chucky…

Inside the Yorkshire Prison Where Five Female Guards Fell for Inmates

The former mining villages north of Doncaster are hardly places most people…

NASA Engineer’s Side Hustle Generates $32,000 a Month

Eryn Andrews has imagined a future in space exploration since childhood, long…

Community Gathers at Vigil for Family of Four Who Died in Shoreham Sea Tragedy

A community vigil has been held for a family of four who…

Prince Harry Demands Answers From Home Secretary Over UK Police Protection

Prince Harry has approached the Home Secretary seeking clarity over whether his…

Inside the Match of the Day Mutiny Involving Alan Shearer

BBC Sport staff working long shifts from the broadcaster’s gleaming new studio…

Student Killed After 18-Year-Old Armed With Sword Attacks School in Sweden

GENEVA — A sword attack at a school in central Sweden left…

130 BBC Executives Paid More Than £178,000 a Year

Senior BBC executives received six-figure pay increases while ordinary staff were offered…

Trump Fires Back With Mom Jab After Protester’s Brazen Stunt

Donald Trump took aim at a heckler during a Friday night rally…